Tank Restart

Kleko

So most of you know that I have had issues with my aquarium over the last 4 months. Im at the point where I think I should restart my tank, New rock, ect. I have an over population of asterina star fish, and collonista snails. My Lps are doing well. The sps went brown due to STN and are recovering. They are still brown which I understand takes a while to gain colours back. My softies are fine of course they always are.
Nitrates 0ppm
Phosphates ?? (Have Algae growth)
Calc 435ppm
Alk 9.3 Dkh
Running GFO
Light skimming

The Instant ocean salt ive been using has thrown my alk off. Its been quite the battle keeping it online. Im just unsure about what to do. The tank doesnt look great. I have been doing 10% water changes weekly With IO. Im not sure about what to do. If I could get your thoughts it would be great.

monizb

Super Active Member
I would do less lighting to help with algea instead of ten percent water change to maybe a twenty percent change how much flow u have what skimmer u have have u. Change out your roaphose

Samsung s3

Kleko

I was thinking h20. Ive had a hard time with io and my alk/ca. I will turn my lights down. My skimmer is a vertex 100. I dont have huge flow.

Boga

Kleko link said:
Calc 435ppm
Alk 9.3 Dkh

I guess you are dosing to keep with Calc and Alk, right? I have low numbers using IO, too. I would also consider changing the salt to .... H2O. Where do you plan to buy it from?

reeffreak

Super Active Member
I can't see your salt being the total factor behind the issues your having. I use IO and have no problems with keeping my alk in the right place. Bigger water changes will likely mess things up more. Keep to the smaller water changes maybe just do them more often rather than change out more at once. Browned out SPS is mostly linked to high nutrient levels , do you run pellets or GFO ?

Kleko

i run gfo. They bleached a couple months ago and they have regained their tissue, and its brown. Should I try a small sps frag and see if it keeps its colour?

reeffreak

Super Active Member
That's up to you, but myself I would just hold off till I am  starting to see colours, that way I know I've got more of a handle on my levels.

Do you have any pictures ? Do you see polyps extension on you're SPS , and which type of SPS do you have in you're tank. Sorry for all the questions, helps get a better perspective.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
This is strictly my opinion...and I am a relative Newb to the whole hard corals thing compared to many on the site...but I'll throw a few things out there to think about before you blow it up and reboot...

The water Params that you have listed are Waaaay! better than mine as I battle with rock that has been abused for decades.  And assuming that you change your GFO regularly Phosphate won't be a problem either.

Darrly V uses IO salt and his tanks do alright... 8)...I use IO or Reef Crystals as well not that that is any sort of endorsement...but not likely your problem

your Alk /Ca are all good but if it's hard to maintain look at Magnesium levels (the key to maintaining that balance).

My system is a long long way from perfect but it is stable (which can be a bad thing when you are trying to make changes for the better)

Just to give you an idea my Nitrates are currently cruising at an altitude of 45ppm and I have bio cubes online and am still carbon dosing as well trying to break that...

I can do a 100gal water change to cut that number in half and in 3 days it is back to 45ppm.  :'(  and some things that I would like to have just do not thrive or in some cases even survive. (why  I'm always working to improve)

...but my green and blue Acro grows 1/2" a week, my MRT Milli's colors are almost as brilliant as when it came out of Darryl's frag tank, my MRT Purple Nana has spread across the rock and is starting new colonies.

If I set aside my optimism and EGO...success/failure is around 50/50 in conditions that many would say you couldn't keep anything alive in.

Your numbers are good...Asterinas and Collonistas will come and go with the availability of nutrients (are they sending you a message about the amount of food going into the tank??)

Read Salty Crackers threads about the rehabilitation of an f'd up system and you'll probably realize that you're better off than you think.

As to the most basic water param...I'll assume (after about 2 years on the site) that you have a refractometer...and have all the other necessary hardware lighting etc. up to snuff

And please don't report me to PETA...but I absolutely used cheap/free SPS frags to monitor the development of my system...may they rest in pieces...

IMO stability is worth its weight in gold and starting over won't get that for you...but stick to making all changes small and allowing a chance to see the effect of each change before you make the next one will get you where you want to be

...that and listening to all the answers (especially the one that you don't want to hear) that come from this excellent knowledge base.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I would agree with everything Adinfintum suggested as it appears salt really isn't your issue. You could be really close to dialing things in with only a few minor adjustments being needed.

How is your nutrient import and export methods. You may be feeding too much or removing nutrients too fast. Any changes that are too quick can have detrimental results. GFO can be your friend and your enemy. Start with about half of what BRS recommends and observe your results.

Maybe shut off your skimmer for a day or two and see what you can observe. Also, when I added amino acids my colours started to explode.

How is your flow in your system? Do you blow of your rocks with a turkey baster once a week? Is your refractometer calibrated correctly? Are your test kits consistent with a buddy's? Are you adequately maintaining consistent CA, ALK, and MG?

Some of these little things, might help get you where you want to be.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
these previous 2 post sum it up absolutley,you didnt mention what water you are usuing (ro,rodi...)phosphates will most definatley contribute to your algae issues,just remember,small adjustments and go slow