Tanks Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mommy3

I have tank that has three angel fish, a pleco and a little black shark ( no idea what kind sorry)

I have had my tank for about 7 months and am looking to see what I can do with it... Thoughts?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Tanks Questions

Depending on the size of your tank and size of your current fish, a nice group of 5-10 (depending on tank size) small schooling fish like cardinal tetras.

M

mommy3

My tank is about 55 gallons from what I understand, my angel fish are no more than like 3 inches in size, my shark is about 5 inches long and my pleco is about 7-8 inches in length.

My angel fish seem to be a little agressive they have killed all of the red tailed fish ( this is the name that I was told from the person I got the fish from ) that I used to have.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Tanks Questions

Ok thank you for the info. By the sounds of it, you have a common pleco (these get extremely large). I would see if you can take it into maybe big Al's in London and trade it for a bristlenose pleco as then it will not outgrow your tank. As for your angelfish being aggressive...how often do you feed and is there 2 that are more aggressive and maybe pick on everyone and even the other angel? Angelfish can easily breed in captivity so maybe 2 have paired off, look around your tank for eggs even. They will lay them on anything that is vertical.

M

mommy3

Thank you for the information I feed them twice a day once in the morning and once at night time. And I will look for eggs but can you tell me what they would look like? thanks

spyd

Super Active Member
When you do feed, just be sure to not overfeed either. Just slowly drop in the flakes and only feed what the fish will eat within 2 minutes. Try not to dump too much in as it will cause nitrate problems and gunk up your tank quickly.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Tanks Questions

They are small, laid in patches or lines and will have a yellowish colouring to them, and if they are laid and parents don't eat them then they're will be 100's of eggs.

J

jones02

This is what the eggs look like. Angelfish are aggrssive fish. I use to breed them and they would lay on some marble I had leaning againnst the side of the tank. And I would also try to get rid of that pleco. I seen them 16"+ brostles are great cleaners and stay small.

M

mommy3

So I checked my tank last night and there are no eggs in the tank at all. And I was under the impression that having some sort of pleco in the tank would help with keeping the Algea away so in getting rid of my large one would u recommend that I get one or two smaller ones?

Thanks for all of the information so far.

Any one have live plants in their tanks? any thoughts about this?

J

jones02

i love planted tanks, had a planted discus tank for the longest time. make sure u dose florish exel to keep them nice and healthy. i would throw a pair of bristle nose in a 55g and a cave for them. if you go planted to some research on lighting. MH always worked great but i see alot of amazing planted LED light tanks aswell.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
As the others said in case you didn't realize that they were referring to a smaller pleco, the Bristle nose is a pleco that doesn't get very large, at full size they'll be smaller than the one you presently have and they are great little workers. They don't tear up the tank like the bigger plecos do.
good luck and enjoy your tank.

jones02 link said:
i love planted tanks, had a planted discus tank for the longest time. make sure u dose florish exel to keep them nice and healthy. i would throw a pair of bristle nose in a 55g and a cave for them. if you go planted to some research on lighting. MH always worked great but i see alot of amazing planted LED light tanks aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.