The Cove

shiver905

Here is a Happy guy with his new tank.

IMG_5775.jpg

Here is a Not so happy Pup
2c40ea8e-4658-4c06-85de-8dcfefa4679a.jpg

Now,
How do I light this bad boy up.
10+ years ago I used to solder Cree leds to make my fixtures now It's looking like companies are taking a lead in making them but realistically I cant justify the 2000$ plus for the classic recommended lights from brands like Radion, AI, Neptune etc.
Any Other recommendation for a mixed reef?

Tank size 60x26widex16

Last edited:

shiver905

Update:
First up was to level this thing. I have to say the leg adjusters on the stand were horrible to work with. I ended up shimming to get it nice and level using composite shims. I highly recommend them over wooden ones.

IMG_5797.jpg

shiver905

Next up was the rock work. Went with the Carib sea Arches, underestimated how much rock I needed.
Also filled up the tank for the first time crossing my figures there was no leaks. . There was from a split O ring for the plumbing. A quick call to waterbox and they sent me over a brand new set in a few days.

IMG_6042.jpg

Last edited:

shiver905

Picked up a Little guy and threw him into QT. This guy is went through hell. 2 weeks in Copper power @ 2.5 which he did fine in. Then Some General Cure for prazi. Which led to a Massive bacterial infection had to pull him out of copper and treat his infection. A few of his fins melted away. With the bacterial infection taken care of he went through Tank transfer method. Juggling 3 QT tank/equipment and Sterilizing each after 2/3 days I was in the thick. Poor little guy lost a bunch of weight but managed to stay with me through that. I also mixed up a match of medicated food because he was showing evidence of internal parasites. Which he cleared. He is is now under observation in my old established tank with no meds fattening up. He is still head twitching. Not sure what to make of it considering he with through 2 rounds of General Cure and 3 Rounds of Prazipro. No signs of Ich/Valvet tho.
IMG_6190.jpg
IMG_6241.jpg

Last edited:

shiver905

Picked up a Skimmer from a buddy. The fact it has a cut off float switch in the collection cup is a dream! I'm not sure what to make out of the Controllability portion of the DC pump tho. I set it to Medium and continued to manually adjust.

IMG_6160.jpg

shiver905

I splurged a bit during Black Friday Sales and picked up a Neptune a3. Frustratingly They don't come with probe holders. Our very own @TORX had one for sale. Thanks bud.

IMG_6238.jpg

Last edited:

shiver905

Every thermometer I owned were a degree or 2 off. Just to set my mind at ease I picked up a NIST certified calibration thermometer.

IMG_6381.jpg

shiver905

Installing the Apex. Took some time to get it running. It's still not doing exactly what I want it to do but i do have some of my Fail safes working.
- Heartbeat feature- If apex loses connection to the internet. Alert
- My skimmer Waits 3 min every time my return pump starts.
-Power monitoring alerts if my return pump fails.
-Customized Feed modes
IMG_6379.jpg

shiver905

Added more rock and finished my scape. Also picked up a Aquatic life t5 Hybrid Fixture. Not sure which LED to run yet. The few corals that are in the tank Seem like they are getting ample light.

IMG_6284.jpg

shiver905

I Can't stand this lid. Any idea on modifying it or an acrylic shop to make/modify me another one.
It would be nice to have it 3/4 of it fully covered. I'm fighting with alot of evap leaving my windows with condensation.
At least 3 pieces for easy removal.

lid.jpg

shiver905

Copper Band out of QT.
He ate a bunch of brine During the QT.
But It's day 3 in main tank with no Interest. I'll swing by the grocery store and look for some half shell clams.
copper.jpg