The next project.....60g CUBE

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Cause there always has to be something it seems.....

Picked up this 60g cubed used from buddy.  Tied it in real easy to my system.  I wanted to set up a 40g breeder LPS tank but had the chance to pick this one up and knew it would be a lot easy not having to build a stand etc.  Because of the shape (and the way the lighting will work) though I think it will end up being more of a mixed reef.  Maybe low light SPS up top, high/med light LPS in the middle and low light LPS on the bottom.

Doesnt look like much now but hopefully it will shine someday....

mark0933

What are the dimensions on that Darryl 24 x 24 x 24? 

I have a 36" cube in my garage that I am doing eventually for my horses, trouble like always is no time...

Mark

spyd

Super Active Member
That will look nice. Especially once it's housing your chalice addiction.  ;D The stand looks great as well. What type of lighting are you going to use on it? DIY LED?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I know this will look awesome when its done. Keep us updated on its progress.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Looks good... Your wife is definitely a keeper! ;D
You bet....I got her trained good when it comes to my out of control reef spending.  I think she just got tired of arguing about it and stopped asking  :eek:  It is her birthday this week so I better plan something nice.

What are the dimensions on that Darryl 24 x 24 x 24?
I have a 36\" cube in my garage that I am doing eventually for my horses, trouble like always is no time...
Mark
Thats right Mark.  Time is hard to find here as well....luckily tieing this into my system has been pretty easy. 

That will look nice. Especially once it's housing your chalice addiction.  ;D The stand looks great as well. What type of lighting are you going to use on it? DIY LED?
The stand is in rougher shape than the picture shows.  It need to be refinished really.  Since its only in my basement rec room it will do.  As for the lighting I already have a 80watt DIY LED fixture made that I was using on one of my lps frag sections but it was too powerful......should work nice on this cube.  Im a little nervous about going all LED and also wondering if it will be too strong for some of the LPS.

I know this will look awesome when its done. Keep us updated on its progress.
Thanks...will do.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Thanks guys....

Ya corals went in shortly after the first post.... Im still trying out which corals go well where and what not.  Trying to get a feel for the lighting.....crossing my fingers my DIY LED is not going to fail me.

Too busy in general to snap pics of much lately......will try soon though.

Oh Derek.....I have two small zoa/paly/LPS frag sections in my sumps 18"x18" each.....along with the SPS frag tank.  You have to come down and check out the changes.....

spyd

Super Active Member
Nice! I will definitely come by and check things out!! I called on Friday as I was in the area, but you were probably working... Who does that on a Friday afternoon? LOL.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
crazy busy this week....working day and night it seems.

I should have time this weekend to post up some nice corals pics and FTS.  Got some really nice chalices to showcase. :)

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Ok.....here she is.  A work in progress but coming along.  Hoping for good things from the LED lighting.  The SPS at the top is only for testing......although if it does well I will probably plant it with some choice frags so the upper portion wont look too exiting for year or two. 

P8115838.jpg

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Seen in person, photo does not do justice. It didn't look like a 60 gallon for some reason, but holy show pieces everywhere.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
jerry_doucette link said:
Seen in person, photo does not do justice. It didn't look like a 60 gallon for some reason, but holy show pieces everywhere.
thanks Jerry.  Ya that picture is a little old from when i just set it up.  Also i had a hard time getting the exposure and white balance right with the leds.  The tank is 24"x 24" 24"....making it 60g but since it is a cube it does seem smaller.

Here is a pic of one of those rare "show pieces"

P8075785.jpg