The Unicorn Is Available This Morning. Apex Trident

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Not derailing, useful comparison and information.

Yes GHL is set to release the ION this fall. It will be more then the Trident most likely. It will use probes instead of reagent. I wish I was on that beta @BIGSHOW ;) ;)

It just sucks as there is no need to test calcium and mag that much in a tank at a dollar a dat especial after you have dialed in DOSing.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I wasnt going to say this but after reading through some of the many R2R posts I have to add this from the recent live stream. Neptune was asked and is getting a lot of flack for not disclosing the maintenance info as well as the several other surprise issues. They actually shut down their threads to stop people from posting.

During the live, when pressed Terrances responce was that it was 'recommended' maintenance and it doesnt have to be done but your results will be off. WT entire F? How is that 'recommended' and not necessary? 'You only have to do the maintenance if you want it to work but it isn't necessary. We don't know exactly how often or how much it will cost or how we afte even going to exchange parts, we are just guessing.' LoL.

After 2+ years of beta testing and continued R&D you would think they would have the fundamental basics sorted. They dont know how long the reagents are good for, they dont know how long the moving parts will last, and they dont know anything about how they will go about the replacements. I am sure we all remember the issues with the DOS and the WAV. If you decide this is what you want, then I highly recommend you wait a year or so while they figure out the rest of the information.

Josh

"A Calcium/Magnesium test is required for every two Alkalinity tests to keep the Trident working under normal and tested operating conditions"
I found this statement odd and kind of wondered how they were able to test all 3 with only 3 reagents but it seems like they've combined reagents together and that explains the weird testing schedules. Look at the chart for the reefbot which basically just shows already available storebought systems.
Reagent Chart.
Mg - 3 reagents
Ca - 2 reagents
Alk - 1 reagent
For them to have 3 reagents to test 3 elements like this my best guess would be that they have combined reagents and in the case of RB it caused their mixed reagent to become unstable after a week.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
To bad. Was looking forward to it’s release. Looks like I’ll be saving $1000 then
I am not saying dont get one, I am saying dont get one now. Their WAV pumps started mass failing at 1-1.5 year mark. DOS issues were pretty much out of the gate. This system tests and adjust your parameters that could decimate your tank.

Like the DOS and WAV, most of the issues have been resolved, but that takes time. Buy it now, risky, buy it a year from now, much better product

Matt1997

I am not saying dont get one, I am saying dont get one now. Their WAV pumps started mass failing at 1-1.5 year mark. DOS issues were pretty much out of the gate. This system tests and adjust your parameters that could decimate your tank.

Like the DOS and WAV, most of the issues have been resolved, but that takes time. Buy it now, risky, buy it a year from now, much better product

Knowing me, I’ll probably have already sold my setup a year from now.

Cliff

Thanks for all the info Torx I appreciate you passing it on. I was waiting for this for so long but I do read some reports and watch the live stream and there are too many questions for me. I don’t like the fact the reagent is in short supply. As I thought with that with my kh director. You would think since they’ve had so what are you long to get everything ready that they would have a full supply of reagent. I could see this going sideways very quickly. And I can’t believe you actually have to send it in to keep it working! Any of us who have sent stuff back to Neptune for repair know that this is not a cheap thing!

Sue

Just watching a follow up video on FB. Just found out that there is a minimum test level. Minimum it tests 4 alk, 2 mag and 2 cal per day. You can not lower it less then that. They do not get into details, but say they have their reasons. They may have their reasons, but why test cal and mag that many times of day? They boast that it is only $0.09 per test but that is $0.72US per day. The reagent is only available from Neptune Systems as mentioned above. It is going to be that way for the next few months as there is a concern with the expiration time frame and storage.

According to the stream and Trident FAQ, there is a 18-24 months you have some parts maintenance. Looking at approx. $100USD or you can ship to Neptune for more. They apparently do not know the actual service interval yet nor what will actually need to be replaced? They have had it for this long and apparently do not know how quickly it will wear? I am not trying to be negative, but with all the questions I am seeing and information that is still unanswered it is extremely disheartening to know people waited for years and some of the most important things and basis of the Trident are still unknown.

Ran out of time before work to watch the rest.
The reason behind the minimum testing frequencies is
1) to ensure you consume the reagent within its expiry period,
2) to keep the sampling line from clogging (it is very thin line) due to dried out liquid and salt precipitation.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
The reason behind the minimum testing frequencies is
1) to ensure you consume the reagent within its expiry period,
2) to keep the sampling line from clogging (it is very thin line) due to dried out liquid and salt precipitation.

1) Acoding to Terence the reagents have approx a 1 year shelf life, no reason to force people into 1 a month. Even letting them test 2/1/1 they would last 2 months and cut the well over $400CAD yearly reagent cost in half

2) They shouldn't dry up in an air tight enclosed tube and sealed container. Especially within a few days or a week. If that is legitimately an issue then they're is a manufacture issue with the houses