They are finally Here!

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Now that my babies are old enough to put with the adults I moved three little girls and one little boy into the main display tank with the adults. Here is a picture the day they went in:

August-22-2014-3_zps1698d30f.jpg

I kept the little girl with the bent snout as you may notice because I didn't think she would be one that anyone would want to purchase. I just love her determination to overcome adversity and thrive. All of the babies were black and white when they went into the adult tank. Three days later I began to notice that the little girls are beginning to change color. Here are a couple of them as they are now:

August-22-2014-4_zps82900136.jpg

August-22-2014-1_zpsaab0662d.jpg

August-22-2014-5_zps158b3752.jpg

The only thing different in here is the type of lighting and the decorations so I'm not sure which has caused the color change but I love it. I'm going to go out and buy another plant grow light to put on the baby tank and see if some start to go lighter like these ones then I'll know that they like to have a UV light instead of fluorescent.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
It has been a little while since I updated this thread so I thought I'd post some pictures I took on October first.

October-1-2014-2_zps8f24a503.jpg

One of my male babies looking right into the camera. He certainly wasn't shy :)

October-1-2014-7_zpse091a320.jpg

Side view of one of the males. They all still like the pink plants the best and crowd on there at night.

October-1-2014-1_zpsb862a2b0.jpg

One of the little girls mid color change. I am noticing that as they get a little older, more of them are changing to a lighter color. They are certainly beautiful. I think they know it too!

October-1-2014-8_zpsd5640a98.jpg

Another little girl. This one is a little lighter than her sister.

They are now 24 weeks old and they are much easier to tell apart. There are more boys than girls in this batch.

The second batch are now 21 weeks old and I'm just starting to be able to tell them apart. They are smaller than these guys because I haven't been able to put them into a grow out tank I think. I have split them up so that there are only abut 14 in each 10 gallon tank and I'm seeing some better growth now. I may have to get out the 75 gallon tank and set it up in line with the others but I've been holding off. I'm hoping I'll have more girls in the second batch to even out the numbers.

The youngest batch are now 7 weeks old and are eating frozen exclusively. At the moment I am shaving the Mysis to make them small enough for them but soon I will be weaning them onto the whole Mysis. I only have 9 left of the youngest batch but those nine are doing well.

faith04

I just mainly read and don't contribute much on this forum, but came across your sale thread which led me to this posting. WOW. Well done and beautiful babies. Makes me want to do a lot of reading and set something up for sea horses. Thank you for all the hard work you have put in and it truly shows. I'd like to love to pick your mind one day via pm, and other than seahorse.org do you use any other websites for reference?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I just mainly read and don't contribute much on this forum, but came across your sale thread which led me to this posting. WOW. Well done and beautiful babies. Makes me want to do a lot of reading and set something up for sea horses. Thank you for all the hard work you have put in and it truly shows. I'd like to love to pick your mind one day via pm, and other than seahorse.org do you use any other websites for reference?

Faith, I don't know where you are located, but if you get the opportunity to talk with Yvette, or visit you'll come away with a wealth of knowledge.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Hi Faith, so glad to hear from you! Glad you enjoyed reading about my journey with my first babies. Seahorses are amazing creatures and definitely not as hard to care for under the right conditions as people believe. I would love to have you come over anytime you wish as I'm not that far from you. I'm avaiIable most weekends. Feel free to pm me anytime.
Most of my knowledge has come from Seahorse.org when getting started and from a friend in London that I was introduced to through [removed:Torx]. Ray also belongs to Seahorse.org and strongly encouraged me to get active on the site (previously I had just read a lot there but not posted or asked questions). Nothing replaces asking questions of your own because others may not have asked and, in my mind, no question is too trivial when learning about seahorses and saltwater keeping in general. I have been trying to contribute to the knowledge about seahorses on this site as well because it has always been thought that seahorses are too difficult to keep. I have a sticky located in the Library that may help answer some of the questions you may have: http://www.thefragtank.ca/community...-asked-questions-about-seahorse-keeping.8380/
It has been a while since I have read it so I should go over it again and update but the basics are there.

All of my babies are still doing well and I'm now considering getting Dave's (my husband) old 75 gallon aquarium out of storage to give them more space while they are still growing. They are eating like little piggies and I haven't had any losses in months so they are very healthy.
I recently put two more little girls in with my adults and within one day they had changed color to match their sisters. They were black and white when I put them in and now they are cream colored. Just beautiful. I love watching them chase their food and snicking it up so quickly. They are amazing and I love them to bits!
smiley-love0671_zps2059580f.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

faith04

Thanks for the link, I will be reading that as well! Thank you as well for extending an invitation, I will pm you.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Three days ago I was looking into my adult tank after feeding them in the morning and much to my surprise I found 1 newborn fry in there! I quickly fished it out and studied my males to see who was pregnant. I was quite baffled because neither of my two large males had a swollen pouch. After 15 minutes of intense studying, I suddenly realized that my little male (one of the babies I raised myself) had swallowed a large pea! His little pouch was definitely swollen! There have been no more babies in the last three days that I have seen but the one baby born is a beautiful big baby for such a small seahorse. So here is a picture of my first baby born to parents that I have raised myself! I am so proud
smiley-happy0571_zpse78d98f8.gif

Born-Oct-6-2014-lightened_zps3fabe689.jpg

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Some new photos of my little ones...

Nov-17-2014-21_zps388e8a06.jpg

This little girl is in my adult tank now and has turned a beautiful white.

Nov-17-2014-24_zps303aa0de.jpg

The little boy who decided to surprise me with one baby :)

Nov-17-2014-25_zps3ce16a73.jpg

The boys looking out at me.

Nov-17-2014-27_zpsabc982ff.jpg

A beautiful headshot to show the markings that are developing.

Nov-17-2014-28_zps30a65e3f.jpg

Three of my younger ones born in August

Nov-17-2014-29_zps4300e864.jpg

A little blurry but wanted to show the coloration of this little one.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
lol mine are still playing chameleon as well lr and white chains they got pale with dark tiger stripes lr and calurpa they had some blotching with tiger stripe and now they are darkening pattern and a yellow tinge to cream as mood changes perhaps lol we need more owners for comparison cuz mine have been 60/40 blue/white led since i got them home