This Isn't Pretty Nor What I Wanted - Opinions Please ?

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I bought Nexusnight's 150 and stand, I'm sure many of you remember it, whitewashed oak. Gorgeous, my dream tank, I've got some issues, it's still not set up, I realize that it's winter and wood dries out, but I've got bigger issues, the wood is splitting where it's been joined, and in spots the boards are splitting. It looks like a complete remake of the stand is going to be necessary.
I'm thinking a wooden stand and shorten it while I have the opportunity. I don't know if the stand is even worth attempting to fix at this point. I've resized the photos and they uploaded, wouldn't when they were larger LOL Suggestions, and opinions would be welcome.

So as this means even longer before the tank is going to be ready to go, I have told Sealife Central, Linda, Gary, and Ian to sell the foxface, the hippo tang and the sailfin tang they have been caring for at the store.
The greenbird wrasse pair are not for sale they are coming home.
Sunnykita
20150117_191332_resized_1.JPG
20150117_191238_resized_1.JPG
20150117_191308_resized_1.JPG

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
If there is supporting structure inside I would throw the tank up and fill her. It may compress the crack making it invisible. Or you can fill it.

If what I am looking at is the main structural components then it would need to be fixed.

I am guessing there is an internal frame an the outside cladding shrunk and cracked. Yes the skin provides rigidity in a lot of cases so a couple screws maybe needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Sherry, you could always squeeze some wood glue in there with a syringe and needle to get deep into the split (I have some if you like), then put the tank onto the stand to compress the crack. If there is another framework inside the stand for support it should hold well. If not, you could always make a framework to fit inside the stand and screw it to the stand from the inside. Then you wouldn't see any screws from the outside. Simple 2 x 4's would do the trick. Much cheaper than buying or building a new stand. If you don't have the space I have a workshop and tools you could use if you like.

SamB

Super Active Member
Agree with other posts - fill it and the weight of the tank will compress enough to hide the cracks

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I am with Neo. Set it up, compression could seal the cracks back up. From there look at patching the spots. The skin is attached to the stand itself, so once there is that much water and rock, your problem will be fixed.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Thanks everyone for the input. I can't set it up yet, a wall has to come out first. The acrylic sump has a minor crack in it aND was supposed to go to Sealife to be repaired
Nexus still hasn't dropped it off. That was over a month ago. I don't want to risk setting the system up without having it repaired first.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
The skin sits around the metal stand so I don't see that filling it will help. I may have to go the wood filler route. Once the wall is out the work will begin

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Metal stand... you should have no worries other than cosmetic. Inject with glue, construction pl is awesome, a big ass clamp bar on the top and bottom, squeeze the shit out of it and wipe the excess glue away.

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
If there is supporting structure inside I would throw the tank up and fill her. It may compress the crack making it invisible. Or you can fill it.

If structure is good than lets play dress up ! Just put a trim around it

If what I am looking at is the main structural components then it would need to be fixed.

I am guessing there is an internal frame an the outside cladding shrunk and cracked. Yes the skin provides rigidity in a lot of cases so a couple screws maybe needed.

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
Wood glue it, compress with a clamp. While its compressed, add a piece to the inside. Just laminate a board with glue. Wood glue is insanely strong at holding wood together.

Send me a picture of the sump. If it can make its way to me, i can fix it for you.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Thanks for the suggestions J-T, I got in touch with Adam today, he's run off his feet with the new job, but he is going to take care of the skin repairs. The sump is in London and it is going to Sealife Central to be repaired, thanks for the offer. It's a bit of a drive and the sump won't fit in my Santa Fe LOL

theyangman

Distinguished Member
oh man, there was no mention of a metal stand inside. That is what is bearing the load of your tank. If this is just an exterior skin that slides over the metal stand like a skin, then who cares. repair it to the best of your ability and go nuts with the coral. People won't be scrutinizing your stand as much as they will be in awe of your tank!

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Yeah, I screwed up Tony, I didn't mention it in the first post but did about halfway down the thread. Thanks for the kind thoughts Tony ! I am so looking forward to getting it up and running ! I have to say when we were at your place for the frag trade I was amazed with how far your tank has come. It is stunning ! I can only hope that a year from now I'm looking at mine with a goofy grin on my face !

theyangman

Distinguished Member
It's a hobby of ups and downs. We all get there eventually, but people like me like to take the long road there and learn the hardest of hard ways. lol

sunnykita

Super Active Member
me too Tony ! I do great with the fish, working on the coral when the 150 is set up. I'll have everything I think I need for keeping great corals, but of course I like softies and LPS, the SPS scares me. I like the movement of the softies - female LOL