Thoughts On Small Powerhead

NanoReef

Looking for a powerhead for my 15 gal tank, currently have 1 Tunze 6020, which is ok but I was thinking of upgrading to a dc pump with a small profile. Don’t really want to support ecotech for multiple reasons. I was thinking of maybe the Tunze 6040 but I wanted to know what everyone else would consider is a reliable pump.

Thanks!

Josh

My only beef with tunze is that if it isn't a stock item it's 6-8week delivery before covid, can't imagine how bad it is now. If you ever need parts or support it will not be quick. The actual tunze pumps I've used have been solid, only issues have been waiting on delivery.

The alternative would probably be a jebao which would be cheaper quality. Most of the DC pumps will be too large for you.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I personally love my AI Nero 3, but they are a sister company to Ecotech. Avoiding off topic, then I would look at Waveline Puck. It has a larger footprint then the Nero 3 but is sleek. I thought CoralBox had one but the RN-1 is pretty big.

NanoReef

[mention]TORX [/mention] [mention]Josh [/mention]

Thank you both for your insights!
I will look into the options you’ve suggested and see what’s best for me. I guess I’m mostly attracted to Tunze as they are super reliable and have not failed me once over the past two years.

Happy reefing!

itspaz

I have the coral box RN1 in my 20 long, its almost too powerful for my setup but it its a very good pump. probably more geared to a larger tank as the flow is quite strong on the lowest setting.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have the coral box RN1 in my 20 long, its almost too powerful for my setup but it its a very good pump. probably more geared to a larger tank as the flow is quite strong on the lowest setting.
I was looking at and was going to mention them but the side by side comparison to other pumps made them look huge. More like the Nero 5, I have the Nero 3 which is about half the size of the 5.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

itspaz

I was looking at and was going to mention them but the side by side comparison to other pumps made them look huge. More like the Nero 5, I have the Nero 3 which is about half the size of the 5.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk
Yea they are large, I guess the best comparison is that the unit has almost the same footprint as the wet side of a MP40/60