Tom Aqualifter

Mutton Biryani

Hey guys,

I have a hang on the back overflow box that uses a liquid pump to maintain the siphon. I had an Tom's Aqualifter pump that needs to retire. It's starting fail at times and throwing off the flow (creating more noise, or worse lowering the levels in my sump and allowed the ATO to dump into my tank).

Anyways, I can't seem to find that type of Aqualifter on some of our local stores. Makes me wonder if they went out of business and if there's an other alternate.

I've thought about hooking my doser to the overflow but that seems noisy/may ruin my doser.

Those with hang on overflows, what are you guys using?

Thanks

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Well from what I know yes, they are no longer in business and there is no similar replacement. People have gone to using small ato pumps and plumbing them in but that is really the only option outside if a dosing pump. You probably do not need that much flow through the doser if you go that way so it should not be too noisy. I would suggest getting one that is designed for constant use which would probably run you a little more

bluewater

If the aqualifter quits entirely you can run a siphon (airline tubing) down to the sump. Slightly better would be to attach that siphon to a power head (meant for venturi aeration) in the sump (or tank)

Cheers

Mutton Biryani

Thanks guys!
I'll try to run a siphon down to the sump. That's a great equipment less idea.
If that doesn't work too well, I'll look into a dedicated continuous doser.
Thanks for your help

bluewater

Just make sure to check it often . Better still use a (non metal) check valve. Cheers
Hold on... This has vulnerability to power cuts. So does hooking the siphon to venturi (on intake of return pump).

It can empty box and lose prime. Do a power off test so you appreciate the risks.

Short answer... Start saving for a drilled tank and or ups.

Cheers

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Hold on... This has vulnerability to power cuts. So does hooking the siphon to venturi (on intake of return pump).

It can empty box and lose prime. Do a power off test so you appreciate the risks.

Short answer... Start saving for a drilled tank and or ups.

Cheers
So true. Power outage will drain the overflow and not re prime when the power comes back on leading to quite the mess.

You should also figure out why you need the pump. If you can stop air from getting in then it would never break siphon.

I am with @bluewater ideally drilling the tank would be best. You can get an overflow that is quite easy to install even with just 1 added hole

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

cica

You can also get a small pump, one that you can drill on the front and insert airline tubing, making it a venturi style air intake. The pump should also have a water intake regulator ( most of the small pumps have) so you can adjust down the water intake. This way it will suck air (or water) through the airline. You can use this airline instead of the aqualifter's sucktion. Place the small pump in the tank side of the hang on overflow. Check it often that the airline is clean.
I hope you can understand my poor explanation.

Mutton Biryani

You guys are so helpful. The DIY Venturi pump sounds neat. Gonna try that for sure.

Yeah definitely moving towards a drilled tank.

Fortunately, the guy I bought the tank from was very detail oriented in figuring out the water levels in the tank and sump. If the power goes out (or individual equipment failure - return pump, overflow box) it just empties into sump and doesn't overflow. The only issue is the skimmer goes nuts when the sump levels rise, but still not a bad mess.