Status
Not open for further replies.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have a 72 LEDs DIY Dimmable Kit with LEDs Color Option: 36 white 32 blue 2 red 2 UV and 5 420nm 3W True Violet LED .  (yes, the math does not add up, there were extras :) ) I have the below image X2.

This is just my DIY, not a 'how to', please do not attempt unless you know what you are doing. I hold no liability if you attempt this at home. If you electrocute yourself and die, please do not sue me.

36_LEDs_dimmable__52580_std.JPG

Source: Stock image www.aquastyleonline.com

What actually came out of the box:

Fresh out of the box. Great packaging.
DSC00994.jpg

Everything out of the bubble wrap
DSC00996.jpg

Dimmers
DSC00997.jpg

Drivers
DSC00999.jpg

LEDs
DSC00989.jpg

LED close up (the goop is flux that I added for soldering)
DSC00991.jpg

There really is not a lot to write or show in this build as it is just connecting wires. I tinned all the contacts before I started the build.

It took about 1 hour for all 4 spots on the LEDs.

DSC00993.jpg

I have purchased U-Channel that I will be cut it to 32" to make my Heatsink. For the record, it would have been cheaper to buy what was needed from Aquastyleonline.ca as it cost me 45$ in Uchannel and it would have been 44$ more in my order including the shipping. But I like to build what I can. I also used 1/2 tube of heatsink adhesive to 'glue' the uchannel together in 4 spots on each channel. They sent 4 tubes, I still have 1 & 3/4 tubes left still. That is with leaving the adhesive oozing out from the LEDs. A dab will do you, did not get a pic of the backside of an LED before I mounted it. Just too excited I guess.

DSC01003.jpg

Hope the advertisement for the site is OK in this pic ;)
DSC01092.jpg

DSC01093.jpg

Again, supper simple DIY. Just solder one - to the + of the next and voila, done! I tested all 3 strings one at a time with a driver and dimmer before jumping into the next part. This project was more then easy. (as long as you can solder)

DSC01136.jpg

My make shift controller for now. When I screwed in the drivers, I slid a 1/2" nut on the screw to raise the driver from the wood backing. I had no idea where the hot spots might be, so this would allow for ventilation. (turns out there were no heat issues, even when running at almost 100%)

DSC01352.jpg

DSC01351.jpg

White string lit up

DSC01138.jpg

Royal Blues lit up

DSC01140.jpg

UV/Red/420nm and a few extra RB to complete the min 10 suggested for the driver.

DSC01141.jpg

Finally, all lit up

DSC01354.jpg

I have not used any of the optics. May try to do every other LED with optic but it reaches the bottom of my 2' tank just fine even when running dimmed.

There have been no heat issues. No additional fans added to my tank and the LEDs are cool to the touch. Drivers as well are cool to the touch.

Tank pics to come tonight. Although what I have so far does not do it justice. Same as the video I took. I took a video of the drivers all turned down, then maximized each driver/string one at a time. Just plan does not catch what is really going on due to auto adjustments in the brightness. It is a MUST see for anyone. When I run only Royal Blue at 100%  (everything else min dim setting) the corals glow like I have never seen before. The control is amazing and a MUST for any reefer!

Update: December 10, 2011

A: I cut off the section of coral with the colonial hydroids, lost a few zoas though  :poop:

B: Played with optics. My fixture is only about 2" above the water line. Optics looked horrible when place on every LED. The RB and Red where strong spotlights.

I ended up removing the optics from the blue and UV string, I left them on every other white which looks nice. There is no 'spot lighting' per say, it makes a nice shimmer across the rocks.

C: Now that I have dialed up my lights, they do run warm. I can still hold my finger on the back of the uchannel. It is warm, but not hot. I have added my 120mm cooling fan and just laid it on the channel. It is cool to the touch. Will try to get a thermometer and measure the differences.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
Re: Torx DIY Bridglux 72 LED Thread

Torx link said:
I have a 72 LEDs DIY Dimmable Kit with LEDs Color Option: 36 white 32 blue 2 red 2 UV and 5 420nm 3W True Violet LED .  (yes, the math does not add up, there were extras :) ) I have the below image X2.

36_LEDs_dimmable__52580_std.JPG

Source: Stock image

To date I have tinned all the LEDs, took about 1 hour for all 4 spots on the LEDs. I have purchased U-Channel that I will be cutting to length today to make my Heatsink. Hopefully will be mounting the LEDs tonight. If all goes well, maybe cutting the wires and tinning them tonight as well.

Will post more images later. At work right now and did not bring my camera.  :p

whats with the stock image?  take some picks man,we are all waiting  lol

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

They will come soon enough. I just wanted to get this started. I will be updating the first post in this thread as time goes by to keep it all together. Hopefully I will be blinding my fish soon enough

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

So got it all together and I must say, I think i got a 3/4 chub off it. I mean, WOW. Photos to come as wife has the camera. Video camera is charging as I type this. NO heat issues on the drivers or LEDs.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

Torx link said:
So got it all together and I must say, I think i got a 3/4 chub off it. I mean, WOW. Photos to come as wife has the camera. Video camera is charging as I type this. NO heat issues on the drivers or LEDs.

..at least you didn't have an accident :eek:

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

I have the whites on one string, Only RBs on a second dimmer, and red/UV/RB's on a third dimmer, talk about control. Not sure if a video will show it right, but I am hoping so.

phatpaco

Torx link said:
That's it 3/4??? So I may be disappointed this week when the group buy comes in? LOL I have been at full on chub since ordering mine! Been kind of awkward lately....Don't know what happens when I go pick them up from Blob...Sorry ahead of time Blob.. :eek:  the anticipation is killing me!!!

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger

make sure u guys put the lids on your tanks before u fire up the lights
All this talk about 3/4 and full thing,dont want to see u throw your parimeters off

LOL
Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

Updated the main post with the build pics.

When I was playing with the lights before placing in the tank hood, my wife started bitching because it was messing with her eyes when she was not even looking at them. I saw spots everywhere I looked for a long time after the lit up pics.

C

crazybizzle

looks good lets see those tank shots.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

Alright, I know, my camera sucks for photos like this. It is only a Sony CyberShot 12.1MP. The lights just came on and within seconds, the zoas started to open and glow. Again, photos do not do anything justice. The colors literally glow.

DSC01364.jpg

DSC01365.jpg

DSC01366.jpg

DSC01367.jpg

DSC01368.jpg

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin

Nicely Done :)

I had come to the same conclusion about using a premade heatsink or rigging my own together.  Not worth the money saved fro the extra time invested:)

B

Blob-79

I dont want to cause a panic or anything, but the last picture you posted, what is that stuff on the top of that rock, above the zoas?  They look kinda like colonial hydroids to me. (bad bad bad)

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

I agree there Blob, got the chunk from Phi at the swap. He said then to trim them off, just never did. Maybe tonight. Take the rock out and trim them at the base, then will flush with DI/RO before placing back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.