Tropical Fish Room Brantford

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I was down by the Tropical fish room location today. The banner says re-opening soon. It looked like they had tanks already setup and at least testing plumbing.

Brantford does need a fish store. But I hope it's different than the former store.

Jerry is a 90% fresh water guy. So I doubt that it will be of any interest to me when it re-opens. Yes Jerry is a great guy, yes Jerry is very knowledgeable fish guy and knows 99.9% more then I will ever know.

heath

Distinguished Member
In the past I have purchased several pieces and fish from Jerry, there is a very limited market for salt water and he does know his stuff and a great guy to boot..Glad he is back...I still remember his 6' sw tank hopefully he will set up another one..his leathers were beautiful..

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I follow Jerry on facebook and have seen the photos of the "new" store, it's coming along nicely and is completely redone, I look forward to seeing him again. I remember Jerry as a teenager working with Terry Little (may he rest in peace) and at fish shows, he'll have forgotten more about fresh water than most of us will ever know ;)

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
It open!

I was there on Thursday and was talking to the man himself. He's open for business has all the tanks up and running again and just starting to get stock. Currently only fresh water. Tetras, guppies and cichlids. Jerry was unsure if he would have salt stuff ready for October 10th. But you can always swing by the store and give him encouragement to get salt stuff in. I got the impression that he never had the interest in salt of frags to make it worth his time or money to invest.

I tried telling him that if he builds it they will come with pockets full of money, so if you are then show him/tell him

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I dropped in yesterday, picked up a jewel cichlid and angelfish (freshwater). Jerry surprised me by asking if they were going in separate tanks. Think i surprised him by being surprised! I have never had an issue keeping cichlids and angels together (given angels are cichlids anyway). Jewels and angels can definitely each hold their own. Just not sure what to make of him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heath

Distinguished Member
I wish that he would do salt stuff/livestock but, being a small retailer and the dollar being so crappy right now its going to be a to a tough decision, so if he does lets not complain too much with the price...just my 2 $...

zoomster

I do hope he gets into some salt water. Even if it is mostly supplies. I think his location would be of great value to a lot of reefers around there.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I only asked about a few fish. Chromis were the only ones on my list he has right now. Seems his prices (so far) are still double what you'll find elsewhere.

heath

Distinguished Member
I hear what your saying about the price but, did you factor in the price of gas and your time... convenience does cost..:D

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I hear what your saying about the price but, did you factor in the price of gas and your time... convenience does cost..:D
Tropical Fishroom
6 chromis -$60

Incredible Aquarium
6 chromis delivered to my door - $50

heath

Distinguished Member
come on Jeff, you time is worth more than 10$, cabinet makers make more than that per hour, lol...
who does the delivery ?????

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Hahaha Bill from IAhas delivered fish to me 3 times iirc, and once or twice via fedex or purolator (can't remember which).

sunnykita

Super Active Member
If that is his reason for higher prices, then I would do the longer drive just out of spite.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
me too, and how about supporting local ? works for me ! I'd take the drive to Brantford and buy from Jerry !

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
me too, and how about supporting local ? works for me ! I'd take the drive to Brantford and buy from Jerry !
You would drive to brantford to pay higher prices? I live in brantford, and would love to support the tropical fishroom, but i'm not going to pay double or triple regular retail prices to do it!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
@sunnykita I think you miss read something. Bill at IA would sell and ship 6 chromis for $50 when Jerry is charging $60 pick up price. If he is charging more just because he can, I wouldn't shop there. But IA isn't a good example for me as I would not buy from IA either lol. Heck, Joe's One Stop has IA prices typically or lower, so I shop locally when I can.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk