Tropical Fish Room Brantford

sunnykita

Super Active Member
@sunnykita I think you miss read something. Bill at IA would sell and ship 6 chromis for $50 when Jerry is charging $60 pick up price. If he is charging more just because he can, I wouldn't shop there. But IA isn't a good example for me as I would not buy from IA either lol. Heck, Joe's One Stop has IA prices typically or lower, so I shop locally when I can.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Nope I didn't misread it, if IA were the last shop in Ontario, I'd go elsewhere. ;) I have a lot of reasons not to EVER deal with that store. Ask Heath about our experiences at IA. Just for clarity, this wasn't a one off experience, we left with a bad taste in our mouth every time we entered that store. Never again !

Then we found Sealife Central, it's my go to store.

I've known Jerry since he was a teenager going to the fish shows with Terry Little. I'd actually let him know that his prices are high and ask why. It could be due to quantities ordered, the little guy has a tougher time competing with prices.

For me it's about the whole shopping experience, service, how you as the customer are treated, and the quality of fish,corals etc, price is never a deal stopper for me, I'm not saying I want to pay more, I'm saying I want to be treated well when I go in to a store. I may have a different outlook than the guys, but it's my outlook developed over a lot of years, and I hate big box stores for just that reason.

Lately my trips have been to Sealife, visiting and shopping, though I haven't been buying much more than food lately, and even though I'm not making big purchases I am always welcomed and feel appreciated. It's like visiting family. I have some plumbing to do and get Ian's gift of his 120 up and running, YES, Ian gave me his 120, we were talking about my interest in buying his sump for the 150 and the next thing I know he said if you want the whole set up it's yours and I'll even deliver it and he did ! thanks Reefdiver ! he knew my frustrations (I need to take a wall out to get where I want to be with the 150) and decided he wanted to pay it forward and I was the lucky recipient - it's not all about the money for some, so I'll be searching out some easy keeper corals again soon.

I haven't been to Jerry's new shop yet, but I will get there soon, knowing I'll be treated with respect and a hug too. One of these days I'll do a road trip and hit Joe's One stop as well. I'm intrigued by photos I've seen. I'd love to check out that store one day too.

How's that for a woman's take on it? :p

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I know why his salt prices are so high, but it's not my place to say. His freshwater prices are very reasonable...

I know many people have had issues with IA. Personally, I have not had any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm happy to hear you've had a better experience at IA. :D If I had a question I'd ask Jerry directly, he's a great guy, and I like to deal with great people nothing less ;)

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I should add it is unfair to people just getting into salt. I've kept freshwater for over 10 years. Always checked out the salt stuff when i was at the fishroom. Given his freshwater was comparable to everywhere else, i assumed the sw livestock was priced accordingly, so figured it was way tooexpensive an endvour for me. Only after i stumbled upon this forum did i realize i was misled! Another example.. before he closed, mexican turbos... $10 each! Double is the name of the game. Figure it out

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I should add it is unfair to people just getting into salt. I've kept freshwater for over 10 years. Always checked out the salt stuff when i was at the fishroom. Given his freshwater was comparable to everywhere else, i assumed the sw livestock was priced accordingly, so figured it was way tooexpensive an endvour for me. Only after i stumbled upon this forum did i realize i was misled! Another example.. before he closed, mexican turbos... $10 each! Double is the name of the game. Figure it out

When I first got into salt, volunteering at a friend's store, I learned the wrong way to do everything, I found IA and the only good advice he gave me was about the frag tank forum. I joined and began to learn how to do it the right way. I know now that I should have done more research before setting up a tank on the advice I'd been given, every new person to salt should do the same. Similar experiences, different stores - imagine that ! An educated customer is a good customer. We owe it to ourselves to be educated :p

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
When you burn bridges locally, your only choice is to outsource.... It's just a matter of time before you burn all bridges.

As far as prices go, if your LFS has stock..you should be happy.

Anyone one can post on there website low prices that are "available" to order. (Including myself) this allows orders to be taken and a large order placed which cuts down on costs because the "x" shipping cost is divided between 20+ fish vs 2-3.

I don't support any LFS in London anymore besides sealife and big ALS. If you want to know why feel free to shoot me a message, I'll tell ya how he operates ;)

heath

Distinguished Member
" I don't support any LFS in London anymore besides sealife and big ALS. If you want to know why feel free to shoot me a message, I'll tell ya how he operates ;)"

very well put and before any of us gets sued, I think that most of us that have dealings with him know the answer ;)

But, I do understand that sometimes the "little guy" doesn't have the buying power of the bigger stores... I will and do support out local fish stores when I can...

sunnykita

Super Active Member
When you burn bridges locally, your only choice is to outsource.... It's just a matter of time before you burn all bridges.

As far as prices go, if your LFS has stock..you should be happy.

Anyone one can post on there website low prices that are "available" to order. (Including myself) this allows orders to be taken and a large order placed which cuts down on costs because the "x" shipping cost is divided between 20+ fish vs 2-3.

I don't support any LFS in London anymore besides sealife and big ALS. If you want to know why feel free to shoot me a message, I'll tell ya how he operates ;)

I should have mentioned Big Al's in London as well, I was in there on Sunday and purchased a koralia as I was in London for dinner to begin with :cool: the staff are great in there as well !

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
anyone know if Jerry has some corals in stock at his store? I might just go down to have a look but I hate going into his store and not buying anything.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Yes, does have a row of salt tanks but it's going out the door as quick as he brings it in. He's had 3 shipments of reef stuff in so far. I'd give him a call if you're thinking about dropping by.