Tropicorium- have you been?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giglio324

So I live in Windsor and I looked online to see some good saltwater store in Michigan I went to oceans and seas in Roseville and was very impressed left wit a little fish and was very pleased. I wanna kno if anyone has been to tropicorium and if its worth the ride. If I go one day I'm gonna hit there and kee's aquarium so lemme know what you know or have seen thanks.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
I've been once. Pretty cool. Huge huge vats lit by sunlight and periodically MH. HE HAS SOME HIGE MAGNIFICENT FISH in them but not sure for sale. Quite a few tanks with fish for sale. And coral. Decent prices. Similar to what you find here. Only prob is getting them back to Windsor. Lol have fun. Crazybizzle can give you details about bringing coral back lmao. Rape. Cool to see but reminds me alot of fish crazy in lassalle in terms of layout. Bit way bigger selection and most impressive vats. I'm talking 20'x10' vats and probably a dozen or so. All growing coral and gorgeous fish

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Giglio324 link said:
So I live in Windsor and I looked online to see some good saltwater store in Michigan I went to oceans and seas in Roseville and was very impressed left wit a little fish and was very pleased. I wanna kno if anyone has been to tropicorium and if its worth the ride. If I go one day I'm gonna hit there and kee's aquarium so lemme know what you know or have seen thanks.

Wow! Oceans and Seas is still around.  20+ years ago I used to make the drive to Detroit to do the rounds of Oceans &Seas, House of Pets (always really bizarre exotics as well as fish), and Greenwoods Pets and Plants as well as a few other odd spots.

I remember heading home from O&S with a small Gold Spotted snake eel in my Super BigGulp cup and a juvenile Black Arowana in my girlfriend's.  ;)

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
I have did a lfs round one day. ..oceans and seas,kees,reef solutions,moby dicks ,amazon stingrays,then the tropicorium...the trop is at the south end of detroit. So while yur there if yu gothe weekend yu can also stop into gibraltar trade centre  And darryl. Cheery corals  has moved to a new location in a warehouse. But ive not been to there location yet ...they did have a booth at the flint swap last fall

Giglio324

Im thinking after my exams are done at the end of this month on a friday afternoon im gonna go to kees and tropicorium and try and find this cherry corals place. Kees and tropicorium are on totally opposite side of detroit from eachother. But i cant not go lol, i gotta go to some of these trade shows and hopefully you guys do another frag swap i couldnt make it this past weekend.

chuckm

My 2 cents...ready...
Tropicorium is definitely worth seeing very impressive been going there since 1991, alot Has changed, they don't give anything away though , but depends what you're looking for, they have a great selection of live rock...they used to wheel and deal but now they seem pretty set in their prices.  Worth seeing at least once for sure.
I also used to do the oceans and seas and Greenwoods tour, hilarious! I too am surprised oceans is still open!
Cherry corals is almost all high end corals, Brett and Todd run the businees, If you can- deal with Brett, cool guy very laid back. {Brett@CherryCorals.com}
They did just open a wharehouse style store in livonia after running the business out of their basements  They were doing one saturday a month, by appointment only, and there is a waiting room while other guests shop you wait your turn, security reasons or something, If you contact Brett he could give you more details. Got my mystic monti and others there R.I.P.
Cherry Corals is at most of the bigger shows in Detroit, if you're going they can bring something special for you.
Since kee's and the trop are on seperate sides of metro detroit, hard to do on a friday afternoon, personally,I would got to the trop then hit Pet Connection at 5 mile road and middlebelt in Livonia.
Kee's is Ok, but Pet Connection is one of the best stores in Metro Detroit. Great Healthy Fish, Rare frags at great prices Knowledgeable staff- Actually Brett from Cherry Corals used to work there in the early days
Reef Solutions-nice stuff over priced-696 & Van Dyke
moby dick's- don't waste your time
Amazon Stingrays-Great owner pat, but limited stock usually moved into a huge store having a hard time filling it.
Atlantis, right across the street from Amazon's  has great fish prices-14 mile west in clawson
Aquarium Shine-used to be Aquatic Discoveries, Lee the owner has hit or miss stock prices average-
If you want more info on detroit stores in particular pm me and i'll tell you what i can...

As far as the border goes= don't get greedy i.e. don't bring a styro full of stuff back, and tell the truth and you won't have any problems, when you shove  :poop: under your seat and B.S. them then they have to work do their job  :mad:and you get in trouble..... :'(

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Exactly...just tell them yu really have. .  And they will more then likely wanna see.  The stuff..i bought 5 damsels and they where wanting to see them and they go  umm boring.    Like expecting some color salt water fish ..lol

Giglio324

Well I made it. I went to tropicorium and although it reminded me of a successful version of a place in lasalle here, it was very impressive. The amount of coral frags is amazing. They have everything and anything you can think of. Lots of fish almost all seemed very healthy to me. It was to bad I was not prepared to bring anything back with me or else I was moments away from buying a beautiful favia frag. If you get a chance go check this place out you won't be disappointed. The shear size will blow your mind.

R

Riddler

Just an FYi guys, the border (ie both sides) has new rules.

Any corals now are listed on CITES.  You need an export permit from US Fish and Wildlife as well as an inspection ($250 per call out)

The Canadian side requires an import permit.  If you fail to have one you will be arrested.  These are federal laws on both sides.  So if you fail on one side, the other side gets notified under the CITIES rules, which means you'll lose your ability to travel.

Fish also will need permits soon.  I'll have to check and see if the date has been moved back again but it's set to begin on March 1, 2013.

I also know of a few people who have lost there prized corals coming across.  Fish not so much..

Riddler

R

Riddler

At the border and also through Enviroment Canada who does CITES.

Riddler

Status
Not open for further replies.