tube worms/help

heath

Distinguished Member
My 90 gal tank is over run with tube worms, does anyone know if there is a fish that will eat them, I've been told to take the rock out and wash them off, they are all over everything. My tank is a community tank so I need the expertise from people that have had this issue..

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
You talking about those feather dusters in the small 2 mm diameter tubes that grow on rocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
They tend to go away on their own as the tank matures.  Most people want them as they are great filter feeders. There are fish that will eat them.

heath

Distinguished Member
yes, they are the feather dusters. I always wanted them in the tank but now its out of hand. the tank has been up and running for 3 yrs.. its seems its getting worse, they are even on the snails..

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Emerald crabs might eat them.  Some wrasses do. Shrimps .

I had them everywhere and still do on the user side of rocks but they have been picked clean off the top of the rocks, not sure by what.  Could try feeding less as they are there because there is available food.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
They are non photosynthetic so for their population to bloom their must be a lot of nutrients in the water column.  Do you feed your corals?  Maybe dial that back for a bit.  Running a filter sock for a bit will remove the snow they feed on, or add more corals and clams to out compete them for the food supply.  ;)

heath

Distinguished Member
Thanks for all of the replies, I do have a tendency to over feed, This is a fish only tank so I will cut back on the food. I have been told to rinse them off the rock, I've not done that as I'm not sure if it will do anything to the natural bacteria on the rock. Any suggestions on rinsing the rock will be greatly appreciated..

heath

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I will do some research on the copper band, this is a community tank and everyone gets along for the most part, thanks

heath

Distinguished Member
did some quick reading on the copper band, they sound like a finicky fish, has anyone here had one and what special needs do they need..again thanks to everyone :)

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
heath link said:
did some quick reading on the copper band, they sound like a finicky fish, has anyone here had one and what special needs do they need..again thanks to everyone :)

If you can get it eating it'll be fine.  Mine eats mysis, and LOVES clams. The person i got mine from suggested adding pods to tank, which i did.  Can't say if they're necessary, but can't hurt!