Tweaking the LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
AdamS link said:
Can you sum up how many of each colour LED you have, and the respective drive currents?
Okay, the dimmable drivers are set to ~900ma (I think it's ma), the non dimmable are the 700ma drivers.  I have 3 sets of the following:
Channel 1 - 14 RB  (dimmable)
Channel 2 - 7 UV
Channel 3 - 6 CW + 5 RB + 2 BLUE  (dimmable)

I also have one 5' heatsink:

Actinic strip - 28 RB non dimmable.

130 LED's in all.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Neopimp link=topic=3647.msg43669#msg43669 date=1362613074]
your tank is woefully under sized for naso tangs... and 20 damsels...

You're jealous of the volcano aren't you.
[/quote]

NO... well maybe

AdamS

Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=AdamS link=topic=3647.msg43657#msg43657 date=1362610275]
Can you sum up how many of each colour LED you have, and the respective drive currents?
Okay, the dimmable drivers are set to ~900ma (I think it's ma), the non dimmable are the 700ma drivers.  I have 3 sets of the following:
Channel 2 - 7 UV

130 LED's in all.
[/quote]

Thanks for posting this Glen, very reassuring.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
AdamS link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=3647.msg43671#msg43671 date=1362613650]
[quote author=AdamS link=topic=3647.msg43657#msg43657 date=1362610275]
Channel 2 - 7 UV

130 LED's in all.
[/quote]

Thanks for posting this Glen, very reassuring.
[/quote]

No worries.  It's very odd that with only ~9 LEDs on the WHOLE setup, they still can overpower everything when they're on.  I have them on a regular dimmer now, but I'm going to try and switch the dimming circuits over to the apex.  I just don't know if the VAR SPEED channels can run that many leds... I wish you had an apex, you'd have it figured out :)

How's your colours coming?  At night I seriously just run the 28 RBs.  But I know that it drives some people nuts. 

I'm putting together a 8-RB and 4-UV fixture for the frag swap now.  Should really make things glow.  'JUST SAY NO TO WHITEY!'

P

phi delt reefer

You should throw one neutral white in the string so the colors that usually look black under actinics still pop.

No need to be a racist when it comes to LEDs bro.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
phi delt reefer link said:
You should throw one neutral white in the string so the colors that usually look black under actinics still pop.

No need to be a racist when it comes to LEDs bro.

Even 1 white is too much, I tried that already, I tried the reds too, but they're just straight up weird.  I AM looking forward to more colours and improvements in the future.  One bulb that can go from white to UV would be awesome.  100 of those on a tank....

AdamS

I have not done much with my LED's, I have been working on the canopy, and the programming for the Arduino.  Basically I realize that I need to re-layout the warm whites, and fix a bunch of the lenses. It's hard to take things apart with a one and three year old running around. So I have to wait until I can get a day or afternoon without them. Once I make some good progress, I will update my build thread.

AdamS

Also, just looked over the manual for the Apex Variable Speed / Dimmer Module.  Looks pretty straightforward. If you don't figure it out, let me know, and I can give you a hand.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
AdamS link said:
Also, just looked over the manual for the Apex Variable Speed / Dimmer Module.  Looks pretty straightforward. If you don't figure it out, let me know, and I can give you a hand.

I have one set working, for some reason I don't think that the second port will run the LEDs (I can't remember why I think they're different), and I don't know if one of the outputs will put out enough juice for 6 drivers. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
One more with the Ferraro Roche top down box.  The pictures below really don't do these things justice...top down really is the only way. :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Okay, this will be it, I was just looking at some shots from early winter, and then shots from today.  3 corals that I had then, and what they are since I added the UV.  Photo colours are obviously different, but I think you can see that the corals have grown and definitely coloured up like crazy.  There is improvement every-single-day.

First pair: Darryl's sunset millie.  Like seriously, this is the SAME COLONY.  I moved it from back against the glass to the center of the tank, but it is just crazy awesome.
Second pair: Darryl's banana tabler.  It was a VERY slow grower, and the yellow had faded.  Look at the explosion in the second pic...
Third pair: ChuckM's red planet.  I know I keep dragging this out, but seriously look at it when it first got planted, and look at the last pic! 

(You guys have no idea how much I'm looking forward to some premium pieces from the swap, now that I can actually keep them looking good!  LED all-the-way baby!)

Status
Not open for further replies.