Unknown Fragfest acquisition... from Fragalot... help!

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Closest thing I found was called "incredible hulk acropora" but they don't provide any other details there.  I guess I could email them.

They give all their corals silly names... I like to know the species name so I can do appropriate research.

spyd

Super Active Member
Not sure exactly what it is called but I can all most guarantee you it will like high light and lots of flow. Most acros do. If it starts bleaching, lower it a little. If it starts browning out, then raise it up more.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I blast all my sps.....and have yet to bleach any sps because of that.....I'm not sure what kind of par you are running but I personally do run quite high.....some acros will see 700+ par in my tank..... I have also found that anything sps from FAL or that has recently come in from the wild does better if placed immediately under high lighting. Myself, I would place that piece in high lighting and keep an eye on it. I would also suggest high flow but IMO this is a must for any sps tank....
Looks like a neat frag, please keep us updated! Good luck!

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Thanks guys, you can be sure I will keep you updated on my frags as the tank grows out.

Glad to know I don't really need to worry about bleaching acros.  My mille is browned out, but I'm not sure if that's due to the high nutrients when I added it or due to not enough light....

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Millis love high light imo......usually the coral will develop lighter colours or maybe whiter tips if it is seeing too much light....but to just go brown....doubted this came be too much light. I have found that some sps i put under high light will go a bit lighter in colour but eventuallt acclimate to it and gain back its full deep colour after a short while.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Yeah my mille is about 2/3 of the way down my tank so I'm thinking either not enough light or nutrients too high... PO4 is lower now so time will tell.  It's been in my tank since April 22 and has seen a few significant changes since then.  And now I'm seriously considering raising my rockwork somehow to provide things more light. 

Maybe I will wait until I move in August... that will give the mille about 3 months of stability and should give me a decent idea what to do with it.  It had more of a purple base with green polyps when I got it and now everything is a dull brownish colour except for the new branches which are more purple.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
This is a really generalized statement but brown usually means not enough light and/or to high PO4 NO2 and the opposite can be said for bleaching pale sps.