#%*!** Urchin!

Nick James

5050AF40-FB92-4794-A21A-3CBB0886C27A_zpsu7q50oie.jpg
I spent some $$ for Black Friday and got some deals on zoanthids. I have had to collect polyps from around the tank as I can find them and glue them back on to the plugs.

This damn urchin I have discovered is actually peeling them off the plugs and carrying them around.

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
5050AF40-FB92-4794-A21A-3CBB0886C27A_zpsu7q50oie.jpg
I spent some $$ for Black Friday and got some deals on zoanthids. I have had to collect polyps from around the tank as I can find them and glue them back on to the plugs.

This damn urchin I have discovered is actually peeling them off the plugs and carrying them around.
I'm not a fan of urchins. I housed one for a couple days for somone and it was nothing g but a little bastard. Knocked things around. and destroyed a good sized frog spawn.

Nick James

I'm just glad I don't have some crazy expensive polyp that I bought one of... chances would be I wouldn't find it again..

heath

Distinguished Member
the best place for an urchin is in the sump, can't get into to much trouble there but, you don't see it..I had one in the big tank and he kept getting stuck between the rocks.. not for me...

Nick James

Oh not cool.be careful I'm not sure if that could release paylay toxins in your tank???

I just assume it's there and use precautions. These are temporary zoas, I bought them as a Christmas gift for someone else. If they make it till then..

Zoas make me nervous but they are very good looking!

Nick James

the best place for an urchin is in the sump, can't get into to much trouble there but, you don't see it..I had one in the big tank and he kept getting stuck between the rocks.. not for me...

This guy has been great at eating any algae he hovers across. I just have to make sure frags are secured well or he wears them. I'll probably add a tuxedo urchin to my 220 in addition to this current one.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Tuxedo urchins are bastards I will never risk one around my collection. I always stick to the rock borer urchins they look neat and spines aren't as long as a blue spot long spine urchin. Has never bothered a thing in my tank except munches coraline with lack of algae

Skim

Who know's what you are seeing is how they get moved around in the wild, kind of cool, I think. I have never see that before, you don't see them do that with mushrooms, so maybe its just one of things. They stay attached until it finds somewhere it likes and lets go. Let us know if you see them attached somewhere else in the Aquarium.