using baking soda to up the ph

S

soundmanreeftank

using baking soda to up the ph will this work ???

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I really don't advise it.  Shar changes in PH will do a lot of damage. 

Just use the PH+ 2 part from Bulk Reef Supply.  If you were doing that, you sort of just stop worrying about PH.

We also need a bit more info as to why you are asking the question :)

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
It works better if you Bake it.

Thats not a joke.  Food grade sodium bicarbonate (arm and hammer baking soda) has a small effect on the pH but if you bake it for an hour you get sodium carbonate (soda ash) which is better at raising the pH.  I usually always suggest using sodium carbonate over bicarbonate. 

Personally though I like to buy my sodium carbonate (soda ash) because its easier and pharmaceutical grade vs. food grade.  I know people have been fine using it though.

C

Cowfish

I use it for adjusting the pH in bare bottom qt but I do bake to convert it to sodium carbonate like sated above it works better. I slowly drip it in to slowly raise the pH to desired level checking it often. I would not advise this for anything other than for adjusting pH in a bare bottom qt or hospital tank. Be careful n slowly drip it in the tank checking pH often.

Boga

Darryl_V link said:
It works better if you Bake it.

Thats not a joke.  Food grade sodium bicarbonate (arm and hammer baking soda) has a small effect on the pH but if you bake it for an hour you get sodium carbonate (soda ash) which is better at raising the pH.  I usually always suggest using sodium carbonate over bicarbonate. 

Personally though I like to buy my sodium carbonate (soda ash) because its easier and pharmaceutical grade vs. food grade.  I know people have been fine using it though.

+1
I used baked sodium bicarbonate with no problems. I did use it for raising the pH during hypo-salinity treatments, when other types of pH buffers won't work.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Cowfish link said:
I use it for adjusting the pH in bare bottom qt but I do bake to convert it to sodium carbonate like sated above it works better. I slowly drip it in to slowly raise the pH to desired level checking it often. I would not advise this for anything other than for adjusting pH in a bare bottom qt or hospital tank. Be careful n slowly drip it in the tank checking pH often.

Well if you have corals the biggest reason to add sodium carbonate is to add alkalinity.  The pH increase is secondary.  In fact I never measure pH in my reef.  As long as your alkalinity is good and you have enough disolved oxygen than the pH will be fine.

C

Cowfish

I don't not use this method in my reef only in QT or hospital tank as I said earlier. Like Boga said when doing hyposalinity other pH buffers will not work that's y I use this method n it works. Just be cautious add slowly n check the pH often to make sure u don't over shoot. I don't reccomend using this method for adjusting pH in any other situation other than for a bare bottom QT or hospital tank. As for using this to adjust alkalinity in ur reef I wouldn't reccomend it there is better ways/products to do so.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Cowfish link said:
I don't not use this method in my reef only in QT or hospital tank as I said earlier. Like Boga said when doing hyposalinity other pH buffers will not work that's y I use this method n it works. Just be cautious add slowly n check the pH often to make sure u don't over shoot. I don't reccomend using this method for adjusting pH in any other situation other than for a bare bottom QT or hospital tank. As for using this to adjust alkalinity in ur reef I wouldn't reccomend it there is better ways/products to do so.
if your using a 2 part solution in your reef you are using sodium carbonate or bicarbonate. Same goes for and product labeled as a buffer. There really is no better product. The only differences would be in food grade vs. Lab / pharmaceutical grade.

C

Cowfish

Yes By better products i meant pharmaceutical grade. I thought it was obvious but apparently not. This got way off it was asked If using baking soda will work to raise pH that's it. I responded from my experience n what I do. I hope u got ur answer n this helped soundmanreeftank.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I actually found the thread and responses quite informative and dont see how it got off topic...... the question itself wad quite vague and the more input the better imo.....
Curious if the op did use baking soda, what tank, how it worked, etc??

Jewel

For years I made my own 2-Part. Calcium Chloride (pure food grade)  And Baking Soda, Supplementing Eppsom Salts. I had a fellow reefer supply me with the Calcium Chloride which is no longer available by the way for Calcium Dosing, The Baking Soda for Alk, and the salts for Magneseum. It wasn't fool proof but it worked and it was cheap. Pennies compared to dollars. Mix it all seperetly in jugs with RO water and you're set. I dosed manually every day and it was great. My DKH was at 8.5, my PH was a little low at 7.8 Calcium was at 450-475. I would buy the Bi-ionic 2 part in 5 GL Pails now because it's purer and more affordable now.

Jewel

Anyone using Calcium Chloride from Big Als and Baked Baking Soda as 2 part, looking for a Recipe I tried to order the 2 part bulk through Reef Supplies but they are all out and don't expect a shipment soon. Any suggestions?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
If there is enough interest, I can have pharma grade bulk additives brought in for people. The prices would be competitive to BRS and big als.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Jewel link said:
Anyone using Calcium Chloride from Big Als and Baked Baking Soda as 2 part, looking for a Recipe I tried to order the 2 part bulk through Reef Supplies but they are all out and don't expect a shipment soon. Any suggestions?

I believe there will be instructions on the bag.  I have a bag of their kalkwasser and it has instructions on the bag.  Big Al's also has the sodium carbonate, I bet if you got both of those and followed the bag instructions you'd be set.  Could be wrong though..

Jewel

As I said, I purchased enough from Reef Supplies to make I gallon of each component and have made arrangements Thur Aaron to Pick up 8,8 pounds of there Calcium Chloride and will prepare the baked Baking soda for the other part. Thy should last for awhile, but I'd be interested in seeing what you can get and how much.

benzzz

Jewel link said:

Jim I have a few 2 part kits from BRS in my cupboard. If you need 1 let me know we can arrange something and you can replace it when it comes back in at BRS.

Jewel

I should be ok, I actually got Aaron at Big Als in London, he's a Reefer Too, Anyway he's gonna order me there brand of Calcium Chloride and Sodium Bicarbonate and I'll be able to pick up on Friday, I've got enough B-ionic to last til then, Thanks Though, much appreciated.