View box, frag rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giglio324

Did a couple DIY projects over the weekend. Figured I'd share my junk lol
1) frag rack. Egg crate glued to an old magnet cleaner. Perfecto
2) I saw this in Pittsburgh while visiting my gf. It's a view box and you can see into the tank without your view being distorted by the water. Although mine did not turn out so well it didn't sink so it'll get the job done.
**the biggest struggle I had was cutting acrylic. I dunno if there is some trick to it but I struggled maybe someone could help me out lol**
Thanks for looking

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
acrylic is brittle and chips/snaps/cracks/shatters.  Lexan is a lot easier to work with, in fact I use a router to cut perfect bevelled edges on lexan.  I can't do it with acrylic (it melts and explodes).

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
All of my sump baffles in my 20 gallon sump are lexan.  View boxes are always nice to use. Thanks for sharing

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
phi delt reefer link said:
[quote author=Big_Als_London link=topic=4537.msg42383#msg42383 date=1361887810]
I think I once read someone used the bottom of a ferrero rocher box.

Darryl_V trade secret  ;)
[/quote]
Yes that is who I heard it from lol. A lot cheaper than the acrylic and it will make your wife happy too.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
phi delt reefer link said:
[quote author=Big_Als_London link=topic=4537.msg42383#msg42383 date=1361887810]
I think I once read someone used the bottom of a ferrero rocher box.

Darryl_V trade secret  ;)
[/quote]

I gotta get fat for my hobby too???

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I use a tile saw for cutting my plexiglass.  I picked it up cheap from Canadian Tire but it has been worth it's weight in gold for me as it has helped me with so many of my projects.  A tile saw runs wet so the blade doesn't overheat the plexi the way other blades would.  I buy my plexi from Home Depot so I don't know if it is Acrylic or Lexan because I have never thought to look.
Your viewing box looks great, thanks for sharing.  I love DIY projects  :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
yveterinarian link said:
I use a tile saw for cutting my plexiglass.  I picked it up cheap from Canadian Tire but it has been worth it's weight in gold for me as it has helped me with so many of my projects.  A tile saw runs wet so the blade doesn't overheat the plexi the way other blades would.  I buy my plexi from Home Depot so I don't know if it is Acrylic or Lexan because I have never thought to look.
Your viewing box looks great, thanks for sharing.  I love DIY projects  :)

Home depot has a lot of lexan because it's good for window replacements. 

I never thought of using a tile saw, that's actually pretty darned clever. Blade shouldn't gum up with plastic either.  Hmmmm. 

My only concern with lexan is that it's fairly soft, I wonder if it wouldn't start to bow from heat and pressure, but maybe for 4 hours or so at a swap it wouldn't matter too much. 

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
Home depot has a lot of lexan because it's good for window replacements. 

I never thought of using a tile saw, that's actually pretty darned clever. Blade shouldn't gum up with plastic either.  Hmmmm. 

My only concern with lexan is that it's fairly soft, I wonder if it wouldn't start to bow from heat and pressure, but maybe for 4 hours or so at a swap it wouldn't matter too much. 

I guess it would depend on how thick it is. I agree, it does bend easily.  Maybe some plastic bracers around the top would help?  No, my tile saw doesn't get gummed up.  It does leave behind hard clear shavings of plexi on the edges sometimes but it comes off very easily.  I usually put masking tape where my cuts are to be and draw the cuts on the tape.  When I peel the tape off my edges are nice and smooth.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Buy a glass scorcher, scorch the acrylic and snap it off... Done . Seen it happen many times  obviously works with glass as well. You may want to sand the edges before putting together.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
That's the only way I've ever been able to cut acrylic... the snap method.  I actually use a sharp utility knife.  I've never had one snap cleanly enough to make a water seal that I would be sure of however :)

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Router is the best way to cut acrylic with minimal/no finishing required after cutting.  Carbide...shallow passes...high feedrate to prevent heat build up/melting.  Material under 3/8" you can easily do with a jigsaw...fine tooth bimetal blade 0 offset taper-ground teeth...set orbital action to minimum or zero if it's an option on your saw. Water to cool will solve most melting issues if you have to compromise on the equipment.

Polycarbonates like lexan are less sensitive to machine because of their much higher melting point, but they scratche even more easily than acrylic.  The fact that it is extremely flexible is why it isn't used for aquariums other than really small ones.  Plus polycarb has generally much lower light transmission and creates considerably greater optical distortion.  We use poly for equipment guards and shields but acrylic for testing tanks and QA equipment where accurate clear visuals are critical.

On the subject of optical quality...the easy way to tell clear acrylates from polycarbs in the light is to look at the edges.  Polycarbs will be almost black, Acrylics will be bright/clear. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Petercar link said:
[quote author=spyd link=topic=4537.msg42436#msg42436 date=1361900913]
I bought mine from IA. http://www.incredibleaquarium.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_127&products_id=2179

I am too lazy for DIY.  ::)
i got one at bills to..cant o wrong for 20 bucks
[/quote]

I just grabbed a ferrero rochet box today.  $8, it has a deep and shallow box, I didn't have to give bill $20, AND it came with 200g of fine hazlenut chocolate inside.  WIN WIN WIN :)

Heh I was checking the whole stack for the one with the least scratches on it, and woman came up "can I help you find something?".

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
yveterinarian link said:
Definitely WIN, WIN.  Sounds delicious!  Did you tell her why you were buying them?  I would have loved to get a look at her face if you did.  ;D

to be honest with you, I told her I was making the world's smallest fishtank. 

Status
Not open for further replies.