Vintage Audio And Vinyl

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Curious if anyone on the forum is addicted to vinyl or vintage audio equipment.

I myself was bit by the bug earlier this year. Since then I've been able to put together a pretty sweet vintage system. And my vinyl collection has grown to just over 150 records.

The sound is what lured me in. Brings back memories of when I was a kid. The warm sound, snaps and crackles of vinyl.

I'm hooked.
Anyone else out there?

Of course everyone loves pictures ;)
2b8dac503d6c3c51ee6d50479454bf75.jpg

My Yamaha amp was made 1978, the turntable was originally bought by my brother new in 1981, and my speakers were only in production between 1974-1978

Sony Xperia Z3

dale

nice setup... my wife listens to old records all the time.. a lot of stuff nobody heard of, but she has a newer usb turntable and newer denon receiver and psb/energy speakers,, sounds great.., i may pick her up a vintage receiver someday..

Marz

Yes I am heavily into audio. I have a 2-channel setup specifically for vinyl with vintage gear and a tube preamplifier, electrostatic magnepan speakers and a dedicated room. I have a cr-1020 yammie, a few pioneer steels :) and many vintage speakers that I have had refoamed. Most of my vinyl doesn't "snap crackle and pop" :)

It's surprising the cost/value ratio of vintage compared to new and how many people don't know about it. That said I also have a system dedicated to my digital music.

I will have to dig up some pictures, but my vinyl listening room is undergoing a reno along with my office and (hopefully)new fishroom.

Crappie pic of my Yamaha.
45c26d1863dc2b46baf42789bb4ba93e.jpg

dale

Once you hear it through a nice vintage system. You'll never go back.

When you're ready. Drop me a line. I've been kinda collecting vintage stuff. I may have something FS ;)

Sony Xperia Z3

lol, i was around when vintage stuff was new,, my first records were , ac/dc dirty deeds and elvis gold on an opaque gold coloured record.. i think it was 1978 or 79...
i will keep yu in mind..

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Pretty sweet setup. I love my yamaha cr-820.
My basement is set up as my listening area. I too have a separate digital system as well. But I find it tough to listen to my digital music since getting into analog sound again.

Most of my vinyl doesn't "snap crackle and pop" :)
BTW. This was just a saying. Most my collection doesn't snap, crackle or pop either.

Sony Xperia Z3

Marz

Lol...I figured :)

So many people like the vintage look of Yamaha that they came out with a new system that had that look, just like your 820. They have a great photo section too.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Yep as an old guy, I gave away or garage sale tons of vintage vinyl. It was called progress back then. Think of how many old flip phones will be around in 30 years.

I even thought about collecting ash trays because in 30 years no one will believe people smoked.

any pics of your beta or vhs machines?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Thread Revival!

Anyone new to the tft family into vintage audio gear?

Update;
Picked up another Yamaha CR-820. But this one was fully restored. All lights work and tuner is amazingly clear.
45fc4721a375e96cf907e8f6db524016.jpg

Also added a phono preamp to the mix. Big difference to my ears.

Also upgrade my speakers. I'm now running a pair of Kef C75's and a pair of B&W DM 220's

c8215da6ae4f2c52ff847675fe4a4ace.jpg

Anyone else into this stuff?

Sony Xperia Z3

Dingets

I'm super interested in getting awesome sound quality but have a limited knowledge base. I figure the best I could do is get a modern receiver (pioneer/Yamaha) and purchase some Bose speakers. I don't need loud music, I want quality music.

Your retro Yamaha is gorgeous. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Thread Revival!
Anyone else into this stuff?

Sony Xperia Z3

Eric, I thought about you when I was going through the basement cupboards and had to move my Bang and Olufsen and Sansui tables...I think there might be a Naim Nait in there too...

BTW I have been using KEF's on my home theatre for years...they are so pure...

Nick James

I have over 500 records but don't know much about vintage audio equipment. Definately something I would be interested in learning more about. I do however have a 1946 Viking Radio that needs new tubes.

35F1D840-F0C0-4C44-8278-37B984CCCDF6_zpsloi3v6lq.jpg

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Your retro Yamaha is gorgeous. Well done!
Thx

I'm super interested in getting awesome sound quality but have a limited knowledge base. I figure the best I could do is get a modern receiver (pioneer/Yamaha) and purchase some Bose speakers. I don't need loud music, I want quality music.

I have over 500 records but don't know much about vintage audio equipment. Definately something I would be interested in learning more about. I do however have a 1946 Viking Radio that needs new tubes.

Vintage audio stuff isn't tough to gain a little knowledge about.
The one main reason I was drawn to vintage audio was the way the equipment looked. But after doing some more listening and reading I realized that the sound quality and performance was top notch.
You have to look at it this way. Receiver manufacturers have always kept pricing relatively the same, even dating back to the 70's
The average sweet spot cost wise for receivers are always in the $300-$600 range. Being the most popular to the masses. Back then when a manufacturer sold an receiver at those prices, and say had $200 of the $600 as profit(just an example, I don't know for sure profit margins). They had $400 to spend on building that receiver. Now, let say you purchase a receiver for the same $600 today. The manufacturer will still profit $200(as they aren't going to compromise their profits). But here is the difference. Out of the $400 they have to build that receiver today, they now need to shell out a ton in licensing fees to Dolby, THX, Satellite radio, iPod docks and so on. So that $400 to build the receiver has now dropped to say $300. And guess where they save that money. That's right! On the components used to build that receiver! So if you're comparing apples to apples( $600-1970's receiver to $600-2016 receiver) you're technically getting an inferior receiver for the same amount of money if bought new.
I've also read a few articles that did direct comparison tests with vintage gear vs new gear. The one article compared an 1972 Pioneer receiver($1500 new) to a 2015 Denon receiver($3500 new) and the 1972 Pioneer blew it away for sound quality.
Just goes to show you that the really "Don't make them like they used to"

Since I've gotten into vintage gear. A few of my friends have switched over as well after seeing and hearing the difference with my system. I would recommend to anyone to look into vintage receivers if you're in the market for a new one or just want something for enjoying music to its fullest.
Most receivers that have had restoration done and in good cosmetic and working condition should run you $100 and up. Obviously the $100 is low power. As an example, we spent about $300 on our vintage Yamaha, and I'd do it again if I had to.

Just some food for thought if you guys are looking into a system for optimum music enjoyment.

@Dingets If I were you. I'd have a look at your local Kijiji ads to see what is available around you. Sure you can get a new Yamaha and Bose set up and it would sound good. But you could do much better if you took your time and found yourself some quality vintage gear. Tons of reviews and forums also dedicated to vintage audio stuff. I also don't mind answering some questions

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Eric, I thought about you when I was going through the basement cupboards and had to move my Bang and Olufsen and Sansui tables...I think there might be a Naim Nait in there too...

BTW I have been using KEF's on my home theatre for years...they are so pure...
You're sitting on a gold mine Rob! Some sweet gear in your "basement cupboards" lol ;)

I'm very impressed with the Kef's. Great sounding speakers. But mine are a bit power hungry at 4ohms.
I find the combo of the Kef's and the B&W to match my listening style the best. I've tried many different combos, and this seem to be the one that makes my ears stand up the most.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca

35F1D840-F0C0-4C44-8278-37B984CCCDF6_zpsloi3v6lq.jpg

Ya my collection has grown from zero to close to 450 since Feb of this year. So much music to collect and enjoy!

That's a pretty cool radio. I still haven't gotten into tubes.....yet ;)
Should be a fun little project for you to restore it.