Want to know what your corals would look like under a RB LED setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Here is a RB CREE flashlight.  I got it today, and it works great.  Sorry Aaron I thought it was $8 but it was $15. 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/160661126340?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3856wt_1163

However it also needs batteries, get the 5000mAH batteries and charger here

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/4-pcs-18650-battery-5000MAH-and-18650-battery-charger-for-LED-Flashlight-3-7V-ok-/150980890975?
pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item232729915f&_uhb=1#ht_3200wt_1397

Perfect for frag swaps when you want to see how cool a piece will look at home.  I plan to use it for checking out the tank at night :)

S

saltnureye

Very slick, I am going to pick one of these up for sure.

Any pics of it in action?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
saltnureye link said:
Very slick, I am going to pick one of these up for sure.

Any pics of it in action?

heh I might be able to pull that off.  one sec. 

I hit the corals at big Al's today.  There's a couple of absolute gems there, but you can't tell under the white lights.  I should pick up that chalice....

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
maybe try your local dollar store.. for a buck you can get a lighter with a RB led in it.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Duke link said:
maybe try your local dollar store.. for a buck you can get a lighter with a RB led in it.

Right...just like going with the bridgelux LEDs.  you get what you pay for.

This is a real CREE royal blue.  It would light up my back yard at night.  I have 4 CREE flashlights, one of them is 1200lumen, it outperformed a marine search light at my buddies cottage this summer.  It's why I sound like a broken record when it comes to CREE.  :)

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=4108.msg37003#msg37003 date=1358800570]

This is a real CREE royal blue.  It would light up my back yard at night.  I have 4 CREE flashlights, one of them is 1200lumen, it outperformed a marine search light at my buddies cottage this summer.  It's why I sound like a broken record when it comes to CREE.  :)
[/quote]

im sure the flashlight is awesome, but if you dont want to order one from ebay.. the lighters from the dollar store work really well.. for a buck.. just because somethings expensive doesnt mean its the best.. i've spent 1000$ less than you on DIY lighting.. and everything is 100% good to go in my tank.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Duke link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=4108.msg37004#msg37004 date=1358800702]

[/quote]

im sure the flashlight is awesome, but if you dont want to order one from ebay.. the lighters from the dollar store work really well.. for a buck.. just because somethings expensive doesnt mean its the best.. i've spent 1000$ less than you on DIY lighting.. and everything is 100% good to go in my tank.
[/quote]

Ah, I see, well it just goes to show that you're way way smarter than I am, so you'll have to put up with my ignorance and stupidity in this thread. 

Guys, I'll have some photos up in a minute.  I unfortunately won't have a dollar store lighter light for comparison (I don't smoke). 

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=4108.msg37006#msg37006 date=1358800935]
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=4108.msg37004#msg37004 date=1358800702]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah, I see, well it just goes to show that you're way way smarter than I am, so you'll have to put up with my ignorance and stupidity in this thread. 

Guys, I'll have some photos up in a minute.  I unfortunately won't have a dollar store lighter light for comparison (I don't smoke).
[/quote]

Thats not what i was implying, i just dont get why you constantly rip on Bridgelux as being some inferior product... they are probably 100% identical.
and it says so right on their main page.

Bridgelux, Inc., a leading supplier of energy-saving light-emitting diode (LED) technology, today announced that Bridgelux has reached agreement with Cree, Inc. and Boston University to settle the parties’ patent infringement litigation and to dismiss all claims and counterclaims in the suits. As part of the settlement, Cree granted Bridgelux a license to the Cree and Boston University patents at issue in the litigation, and Bridgelux agreed to pay a license fee and royalties. In addition, Bridgelux and Cree have entered into a supply agreement under which Cree will become a significant supplier to Bridgelux. Other terms of the settlement are confidential.
“This agreement creates a collaborative environment between Bridgelux and Cree, while affirming the commitment of both companies to the protection of intellectual property,” stated Mark Swoboda, Bridgelux, chief executive officer. “Cree will become an important technology and manufacturing partner for Bridgelux, supporting our efforts to enable the mass adoption of solid state lighting.”

I dont want to fight about it either.. its your thread i was just saying for anyone looking for a quick RB LED flashlight, dollar store had lighters that work great, obviously a 30$ flashlight is going to be amazing, i might get one even. lets see some pictures.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Here are some shots.  All with regular daylights on, and then just hitting things with the light.  Still not as impressive as in person, but maybe you get the idea. Oh and I tried the dollar store lighter, results below  :)

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
the dollar store lighters are also no were near that bright.. you can barely see them during lights on.. they come in red/purple/green but i just grabbed a few blue ones. i think they are maybe better more for night viewing but they do make the corals glow good. and weirdly enough they come empty (who wants a lighter they have to fill with butane) so no worries about the house fires, gotta admit that was some funny sh*t tho.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
Gotta admit, I was totally trumped by a crayola crayon light!  8)

My kid totally needs this set.. what set is it exactly?  ;D

Victoss

I had some extra LEDs from a rapid led build so I have a diy cree RB flash light and a Phillips deep red. I can't get any subject pics of them right now since my one hand is recovering from an operation but I'll be sure to post some eventually.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I used it in the pitch black last night.  It 100% puts my ~90 royal blues to shame. I don't know what the deal is, but it brought out colours i didn't even know where there.  I don't know if a bulb like this can run long term, but I now just want to have 4 of these on the tank. :)

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Are you shining through front of glass or from top down? Might just be the fact it has less water to go through before it hits coral?

Status
Not open for further replies.