Water Change

Canadianeh

Is there a sticky for water change?

What do you guys do for water change? Do you keep saltwater ready to use in 5 gallon jug somewhere in storage ready to use? If yes, do you keep it in certain temperature at all time?
Do you make it as you go?

Nighthawk26

I basically do constant water change. Over the course of 24 hours I chance about 3 Gallons a day, every day with a Neptune DOS. Stored in a 50G container, and no need to heat as so little is added at a given time.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Onces a week and I follow my test lots of I have a spike I do a 10 gallon water change for my 40 gallon tank but normal 5 gallon a week , I just mix the night before so I know it's 100% good .

Canadianeh

so for my 40 gallons tank, 5 gallons WC per week is enough, and I can either mix it in the of or night before.

How many kg of salt you need per month or year?

Chrismayu

Website
reefsense.com
I have a 25g and I do a 5g water change every 2 weeks or so - I go thru a pail of salt in about a year and a half or so . The trick I found is to collect Culligan jugs - fill them at a water depot if you don't have a RO and they learn how many grams of salt you need to get to the correct salt level. I got a cheap scale from Canadian tire for like 12 buck and I weight out 710grams of IO Reef Crystals in a small ziplock bag and fill up a jug to about 3 inches from the top. I have premade salt and have it sit in the jugs for while ( month or so) and it has been fine.

Canadianeh

Just learning your lingo here lol

So 1 pail is the biggest size.

I will be using Aquaforest 25 kg pail.

Canadianeh

Different salts have their own mixing guidelines. Be sure to follow what your manufacture suggests to get started.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

To what ppt we should mix salt water to? I guess this is the same regardless the brand name and quantity of water?

heath

Distinguished Member
for me it depends which tank I am doing the water change on, the fowlr ( fish only with live rock) I use IO and I keep it a bit on the low side, my sg 1.019-1.021 range.
On the mixed reef tank I use Reef Crystals and run it higher, sg 1.025-1.027...
just remember that water evaporates but salt doesn't...

Canadianeh

Lets do some maths hehe

100 litres (26.4172 gallons) needs 3.8 kg of aquaforest reef salt to make 33 ppt

For 40 gallons I will need 5.75kg of salt

For 5 gallons to do water change weekly I will neeed 0.7192 kg/ 719.2 grams of salt

25 kg pail of salt will do 34 water changes for 34 weeks

Two questions:
  1. If I buy an extra pail for spare, will it expire or get hardened if I store it for more than 34 weeks without opening the seal?
  2. How do I know how many gallons I need after sands, rocks, filter media and etc, I will need less than 40 gallons of seasalt water. Is there a proven way to calculate the water I need without making too much and waste the salt water that I just make for initial set up?

Chrismayu

Website
reefsense.com
Lets do some maths hehe

100 litres (26.4172 gallons) needs 3.8 kg of aquaforest reef salt to make 33 ppt

For 40 gallons I will need 5.75kg of salt

For 5 gallons to do water change weekly I will neeed 0.7192 kg/ 719.2 grams of salt

25 kg pail of salt will do 34 water changes for 34 weeks

Two questions:
  1. If I buy an extra pail for spare, will it expire or get hardened if I store it for more than 34 weeks without opening the seal?
  2. How do I know how many gallons I need after sands, rocks, filter media and etc, I will need less than 40 gallons of seasalt water. Is there a proven way to calculate the water I need without making too much and waste the salt water that I just make for initial set up?
1) no I brought 2 pails last year - almost 2 years ago and I just opened the second pail yesterday - perfectly fine. It will be fine AS LONG as the pail is not opened. The Salt will suck the moisture out of the air if the lid is open and harden.
2) If you make extra - save it for your first waterchange - also buy only certain pails that don't leach chemicals into the water. I only use pails that were used from wine making. They are cheap to buy and they are food safe. I would not use pails that have colouring in them unless it is a proven to be safe - the forum here will answer that question.

Canadianeh

1) no I brought 2 pails last year - almost 2 years ago and I just opened the second pail yesterday - perfectly fine. It will be fine AS LONG as the pail is not opened. The Salt will suck the moisture out of the air if the lid is open and harden.
2) If you make extra - save it for your first waterchange - also buy only certain pails that don't leach chemicals into the water. I only use pails that were used from wine making. They are cheap to buy and they are food safe. I would not use pails that have colouring in them unless it is a proven to be safe - the forum here will answer that question.

Is there salinity calculator out there? Tried to google it but wondering if you guys have something that you used. Basically to calculate how much salt to put to make 1.026 sg of seasalt.