Wave Pump Suggestions

Shawn White

Hi everyone so I was using the current USA wave pump and this morning I noticed it wasn't working cleaned it and put it back together still nothing so now I am shopping around to pick up a new one any suggestions on what are good pumps to buy with out spending a fortune it's a 90 gallon I was running 2 of the 600 gallon per hour and one of the 2000 gallon per hour would like more flow any suggestions thanks

Jason Bell

I have been down this road many times, tried all pumps and spent more than if I would have just picked up a vortech. I love them there is no doubt.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
+1 with @Matt1997 i was never going to buy into them tbh .. but I got 2 in a full set up I bought and let me tell you once you have 1 you’ll be hooked amazing build quality and powerful and look the cleanest IMO

joshthebox

Never deal with this user
I agree, I love my vortechs. Nero isn't bad either - I find they're quieter than MPs, but the cord is annoying.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'm split. I like the vortechs, and I like tunze. I curerntly use both. That said....

The old tunze wavebox I had, was phenomenal. Lasted forever, and was overpowered for a 125 long. The new replacement needs constant cleaning, and I had to add a vortech to help move water. Oh, and it's practically silent. I think they "new" tunze is probably shopped out to china. It's a damn shame, and their customer support leaves a lot to be desired.

The vortech pumps work, but the wet sides tend to fail (I've replaced 2, and I've got one now that is getting noisy and unreliable. They are also much noisier because the pump side is outside the watater, but then again there is the benefit of not sticking yet another power cord into saltwater, and from someone who lost a couple of colonies to stray voltage, that's a big plus.

It just seems these companies make a name for themselves with quality, and then they outsource everything to china, and just stick the name on it.

That said, I'd likely go with vortech, as you CAN get replacement parts, and they do have lots of power. Not as great at making waves, but the point is to take waste away from coral, and bring food to them, so it really doesn't have to be a raging tsunami of water movement.

Shawn White

It’s funny I used to have. A Fish room with 40 aquariums running burned me out a little sold all my fish and tanks then I started to miss it.My wife “talked” me into buying one tank and give salt a try thinking I would spend less time and money on one tank BOY WAS SHE WRONG. but I am enjoying the saltwater a lot more the the fresh

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Tunze here. The things never need cleaning and just work

I switched over from Vortech to Tunze a few years ago and have been impressed with the power and silence. Still running a Tunze wave box for a long time and so far- it hasn’t missed a beat.

I had original Vortech MP40s x 3 that sounded like a nascar race when they were all in full speed. I liked the simplicity and ease of maintenance while I had them.

Jason Bell

My 4 run 75% max and I don't hear a thing. 2 run lagoon mode and 2 reef crest. The loudest thing so far is the subtle sound of the skimmer. I am using the thin spacer, basically a rubber pad on the magnet. I do have one on my other tank that is loud, bought the new magnet but have not swamped it yet.

I always wanted a tunze wavebox though.

Jason Bell

Fx330 set, I ran those on my 120 for 3/4 months. Wasn't impressed, but that was just me. I found they had to be cleaned often to keep them running how they originally performed. They were quiet enough, but seemed to take plenty of space.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
image017-0ec2a01746d0610357ef87c7b1f43e21.jpg
Mine run at 100%. Don’t hear a thing
I got mine from you!!!! :)

I think that brand new, in top shape, the pumps run around 40 decibels. Now that's not bad at all, as I think almost total silence to the human ear is ~30dB, and hearing damage starts at 85dB. So they start out sort of middle of the road, but hardly silent, and they only get louder from there. I have a dB meter running in my office all the time because I tend to get real likkered up sometimes and crank the 'Priest, and right now, with the computer fans running and the window open, I'm at 42dB. So the fact I can hear the pump sometimes at ~40 feet away from my desk means it's running ~50dB, but of course it's not new.

* found a chart from vortech, I think they sort of mesh with what I'm saying. I think I have the mp60, so it likely runs on the high side of 60 on top speed, I actually took apart what I could a few months ago and blew out dust and whatnot, it had gotten V8 motor loud, but obviously not a fresh off the assembly line motor.

My beef with them is the cost of the replacement wet sides, it's almost as much as a new off brand pump. It's too bad there aren't just rebuild kits available. There's something fragtank could do, make aftermarket repair pieces for all this expensive shitty equipment we all moan and bitch about :)