Weird things on glass...

MrHermit85

Hi guys, any idea what these are? I thought they were pods but they are not moving like pods and don't look the same. They have a round body/disk and multiple thin legs.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Still thinking copepods. But obviously not easy to see clearly. There are several types of copepods out there.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
If they only move around slowly they could be Hydroids.  At their early stages they will actually "walk/somersault" along on their tentacles making them look like legs.

MrHermit85

AdInfinitum link said:
If they only move around slowly they could be Hydroids.  At their early stages they will actually \"walk/somersault\" along on their tentacles making them look like legs.

Adinfinitum wins, I think they are hydroids. I have never heard of them before, I hear they can sting depending on the type. Man, I hope they aren't going to take over :(

MrHermit85

AdInfinitum link said:
If they only move around slowly they could be Hydroids.  At their early stages they will actually \"walk/somersault\" along on their tentacles making them look like legs.

I was just watching them and they dont move at all, they stay put. I marked one with a marker on the glass and it was still there later in the afternoon.

I have read that some peole report hydroids pulsating or at least moving??? I have also read that they can grow brown tube type features... I have a few of these around my tank, could these be what people are describing?

Apparently peppermint shrimp and propper nutrient control sorts them out, is this the case? Also do they feed off of pods? As I have had a pod boom over the last few weeks...