Wet dry or not?

Darkangel

Website
www.facebook.com
So I originally started with the idea of a FWOLR tank that has since changed to become a soft coral tank. As such I am upgrading my skimmer, but the new skimmer will not fit in the current sump which has a wet/dry tower in it. The tank is 90 gallons with 120lbs live rock, 80lbs live sand, 5 T5HO lights, three of the circulating pumps in it, a wet/dry tower with a sump with a refugium in it. I have been told that the two Coralife 65G's are insufficient for the tank. There is a maroon clown, a one spot foxface, and a powder blue tang. There are three peppermint shrimp, 30 black turbo snails, 3 Mexican turbo snails, 20 of the little burrowing snails and 10 reef hermit crabs. Tank has been running since Jan 3rd. All the fish were in QT and were added one a week after the tank had run for 12 weeks. So the question to all of this is do I need a wet/dry tower or just an aquarium divided up with baffles to make a place for the skimmer, a refugium and the return pump?

Darkangel

Website
www.facebook.com
So I originally started with the idea of a FWOLR tank that has since changed to become a soft coral tank. As such I am upgrading my skimmer, but the new skimmer will not fit in the current sump which has a wet/dry tower in it. The tank is 90 gallons with 120lbs live rock, 80lbs live sand, 5 T5HO lights, three of the circulating pumps in it, a wet/dry tower with a sump with a refugium in it. I have been told that the two Coralife 65G's are insufficient for the tank. There is a maroon clown, a one spot foxface, and a powder blue tang. There are three peppermint shrimp, 30 black turbo snails, 3 Mexican turbo snails, 20 of the little burrowing snails and 10 reef hermit crabs. Tank has been running since Jan 3rd. All the fish were in QT and were added one a week after the tank had run for 12 weeks. So the question to all of this is do I need a wet/dry tower or just an aquarium divided up with baffles to make a place for the skimmer, a refugium and the return pump?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
The live Rick becomes your filter once the bacteria are established. Ditch the wet dry.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
The live Rick becomes your filter once the bacteria are established. Ditch the wet dry.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Most the members here have been doing this hobby for years if not decades in some cases. They have 'been there, done that'. Go option 2.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Most the members here have been doing this hobby for years if not decades in some cases. They have 'been there, done that'. Go option 2.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
truth be told you dont even NEED baffles, i just have a 65g aquarium as a sump on my 150gal, it holds all of my equipment (return pump, skimmer, reactors, ATO, heater) and even a refugium in a basket, no baffles at all.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
truth be told you dont even NEED baffles, i just have a 65g aquarium as a sump on my 150gal, it holds all of my equipment (return pump, skimmer, reactors, ATO, heater) and even a refugium in a basket, no baffles at all.

Darkangel

Website
www.facebook.com
So the new skimmer is a SWC Xtreme 160 Protein Skimmer. Would anyone care to post some pics of their sumps so I can get some ideas for my own? What size tank would be best for a 90 with the skimmer noted? I want one large enough to not overflow if the power goes out. Thanks for your input.