What Are We Doing Wrong?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'm going to chim in... the lights are likely very very very underpowered. I tried to look them up, and I found a 48" one for under $200. It's likely something like what I started with years ago, and it is not adequate (some here have spent $000s on lights, myself included).

As well, test kits, there's no way your phosphate is 0, mysis alone is filled with phosphate. I think there's a bit of cyano growing in there, and that stuff lives off phosphate.

As others have said, it's way too clean looking in there for a tank that age. I run low low nutrient and even mine looks "dirtier". I don't clean my substrate really at all, just let it sit. If you disturb the lower levels of the sand bed you can release some really smelly bacteria, but it's good bacteria, leave it be.

Again, just my $.02 without knowing the tank setup really at all.

Tabitha

I'm going to chim in... the lights are likely very very very underpowered. I tried to look them up, and I found a 48" one for under $200. It's likely something like what I started with years ago, and it is not adequate (some here have spent $000s on lights, myself included).

As well, test kits, there's no way your phosphate is 0, mysis alone is filled with phosphate. I think there's a bit of cyano growing in there, and that stuff lives off phosphate.

As others have said, it's way too clean looking in there for a tank that age. I run low low nutrient and even mine looks "dirtier". I don't clean my substrate really at all, just let it sit. If you disturb the lower levels of the sand bed you can release some really smelly bacteria, but it's good bacteria, leave it be.

Again, just my $.02 without knowing the tank setup really at all.
Thanks for the input! It's nice to hear everyone's suggestions, we are definitely getting better test kits and some live rock. And doing a large water change this weekend. We are just going to have to sit with the lights for now.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

SamB

Super Active Member
If this has been covered I apologize but I would immediately STOP vacuuming your sand bed
Leave it alone - do not do this
I have rarely taken this action. SW is not the same as FW
As at least one forum member has mentioned, when you stir up the substrate, you are potentially releasing toxins that your micro organisms are beginning to feed on.
Vacuuming the substrate can release an abundance of materials that can overwhelm the capabilities of the micro fauna that you are trying to cultivate
Do not add any more fish, corals or crustaceans at this time and wait to get your system fully cycled and stabilized

Tabitha

If this has been covered I apologize but I would immediately STOP vacuuming your sand bed
Leave it alone - do not do this
I have rarely taken this action. SW is not the same as FW
As at least one forum member has mentioned, when you stir up the substrate, you are potentially releasing toxins that your micro organisms are beginning to feed on.
Vacuuming the substrate can release an abundance of materials that can overwhelm the capabilities of the micro fauna that you are trying to cultivate
Do not add any more fish, corals or crustaceans at this time and wait to get your system fully cycled and stabilized
Thank you. Yes someone mentioned and we are taking it to heart. We don't want any more deaths in our tank :(

Tabitha

thehvacman

Thank you for the offer! It is just too far away for us ATM.

It might be worth the drive, if your system doesn’t already have ich you can introduce it through live rock, or anything wet for that matter. I honestly don’t trust any of the local aquarium stores to not have ich in there tanks. It has been a really long time sense I have bought an ich free fish, and I buy fish from any store in the gta including cambridge, but I rarely go to Kitchener so can’t say about them. Really do think that good live rock will turn your system around, no offense but your system just looks dead when there should be life on every inch of your rock. Good luck

shamous113

I've gotten a few fish from Kitchener and none had any visible signs of ich, but I know they don't qt. most stores don't qt, and if they do they don't medicate/treat the fish they just make sure the fish is eating. that said every fish gets put in to qt and treated before it goes it to my display. frags are placed in a frag tank for a minimum of 72 days to ensure they don't bring anything in to my dt as well. Kitchener now has 2 large frag tanks setup and their keeping larger selection of coral.