What camera to buy???.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
It is long past time I got a decent camera to capture some pics.....what is everyone using out there? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

harleymike

Super Active Member
I use a nikon slr. Always liked nikon's. I also have a gopro hero 2 for action footage.
There all pretty good anymore. I know guys with canon's that swear by them too.
Get one that has interchangable lens thaough. Gives you more options in the future.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
im shooting a Canon, I didn't want to spend much so I went with the newest entry level body at the time, the Rebel T3, going used is an option because you can get some older high end cameras for a good deal that way, but a lot of those older cameras aren't as newbie friendly as the new ones are now. If I was to go out and get another one today I would be getting the Rebel T4i, without spending a lot I think your going to get amazing results out of that camera. Futureshop would be the place to get one too.. they are highly discounted right now.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Go to henrys cameras in london ..they have a sale on also  if yu want to get real closeup shots  The tamron is a good price at henrys  ..i got the 90 mm macro ..was told this lens by a other reefer in here ..i am using a rebel

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
It seems that dslr is the way to go now......is anyone using point and shoot cameras still ?

I have been checking out the canon rebel.....looks very nice!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

J

jones02

I use a sony a57 and I have a macro, 55mm annd 130mm? I love the sony. Was pricey but amazig. Like most things.. U get what u pay for. But if u don't plan onn usign it all the time go cheaper and get a rebel. Good starter dslr camera.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I use the Nikon D200. Have 50mm 1.4 , 80-200 2.8 , and sigma 120-400mm. Wasn't purchased for aquarium photography though. Mostly action sports. I would recommend a Nikon over a canon, but that is because IMO canon doesn't feel nice in my hand. That is not to say that Nikon is better then canon, or vice versa. Compare a few models and see what you need/want then go into Henry's in London and ask to try them. They will let you go outside the store, but also take a few inside to see how the photos look under lower light conditions. Also ask if you can use your own memory card...if they let you then you can then take it home and compare photos taken on your computer as the screens make photos look unreal lol.

For aquarium I recommend a macro. Getting third party can save you some $$$. Tamaron and Sigma are the big 2.

spyd

Super Active Member
Petercar link said:
Go to henrys cameras in london ..they have a sale on also  if yu want to get real closeup shots  The tamron is a good price at henrys  ..i got the 90 mm macro ..was told this lens by a other reefer in here ..i am using a rebel

That's it! I finally know what I want for Christmas! lol. My pictures never turn out very well and I would love me a nice Macro lens!

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
I see most of the big camera makers are having the new interchanble lense point and shoots ..also i have the fuji. Point and shoot. That yu can put it right in your tank and get up close ..  Bill has the acrylic veiw box that yu can skim on the top of the water and put yur camera len right inside and take a top down shot

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
spyd link said:
[quote author=Petercar link=topic=3775.msg33254#msg33254 date=1355392164]

That's it! I finally know what I want for Christmas! lol. My pictures never turn out very well and I would love me a nice Macro lens!
[/quote]

make sure you take a camera body with you and try it out first, 90mm is really close up.. if you go with a 50mm or even the 60mm macro lens u might find u can use it for general photography more often and not use it only for your reef tank.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
If its for reef photography the 90 or 100mm macro is what you want.  If its for general and potrait photography than a 50 or 60mm is best.  You can do a bit of both with each lense but one is better suited at one job than the other.

I wish i had a macro lense by the way....they dont even make anything larger than a 50mm macro for my weird Olympus evolt.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Darryl_V link said:
If its for reef photography the 90 or 100mm macro is what you want.  If its for general and potrait photography than a 50 or 60mm is best.  You can do a bit of both with each lense but one is better suited at one job than the other.

I wish i had a macro lense by the way....they dont even make anything larger than a 50mm macro for my weird Olympus evolt.

I would disagree.. it is an awesome lens to have for macros, and extreme coral closeups, having used the tamaron 90mm, its uses are really limited, you have to be at least 3-4ft back from the glass and your still only capturing only a few square inches of area in the photos. for reef photography your going to get much more use out of something like a 50mm.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I find the connon 50mm general purpose lens is pretty poor for close ups.  I have a 75-300mm lens that takes absolutely stunning photos of items outside, but I can't get it to really work in the tank, but I think I needed to use a tripod and a remote shutter button, which I may do.

jroovers

Super Active Member
If you are going DSLR, couple of questions:

1.  Budget
2.  Intended use other than aqarium photography.

I have purchased all my gear used except one lens.  I have never shot the T4i, but it would be a good choice looking at the specs.  The one part I wouldn't like specific to aquarium shooting is the WB'ing options - there is no temperture specific setting - I set my 7D to 10,000k which gets me pretty close, then do the rest in post.  You could custom WB though, will just take some trial and error to get it close, then you can further adjust in post. 

As for lenses, I agree with Darryl.  There is no one lens to "do it all".  50 to 60 is a good lens, and will get you some great shots, and will be a better all around portrait lens in small rooms, but for closer shots a longer focal length will be better.  Bill got a 70, which is a good intermediate length IMO, and I have the Tamron 90, which I use for all of my aquarium shooting, other than full tank shots (if this is what you are after, then yes, you are going to have to stand way back, but you are going to have another lens other than the 90 mm for this, I'd suggest something in the 30 to 50 range - I have a 30 mm Sigma 1.4).  Anyhow, I love the 90 for outside close-ups, coral shots, macros, and fish.  Few samples:

8253463610_68158bdfde_c.jpg

8235771622_8654dae396_c.jpg

November72012-6.jpg

November72012-4.jpg

Oct272012-5.jpg

AquariumSept2012-1_zpscece8c7a.jpg

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
I find the connon 50mm general purpose lens is pretty poor for close ups.  I have a 75-300mm lens that takes absolutely stunning photos of items outside, but I can't get it to really work in the tank, but I think I needed to use a tripod and a remote shutter button, which I may do.

ya don't get me wrong.. the 90mm lens is sweet.. I wish I owned one myself, close up shots are amazing with it.. but try and get a photo of your full tank and you need to be standing 20 feet away to get it in the photo... im surprised you don't like the 50mm, i really liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.