what can I add to my tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleko

hey everyone new to the hobby have had my tank for 3 weeks. I have a crab and 2 snails what else can I add in terms of crabs and snails could I add a shrimp? can I just but stuff in the tanks a 24g nano. 25 pounds of live rock.
Thanks

M

marks69

i wouldn't add anything for a while.  your tank hasen't been up long enough to add livestock.  check your am, nitrate and nitrite levels alot or you could lose what you have already.
wait for your cycle to finish, then you'll be good to go

Kleko

well to let you know I bought it all used the live rock is aproximatly 5 years old and the tank was used up till the day it was taken down and I set it up. as well as live sand

M

marks69

but how's your readings?  the previous owner my have not been up on water changes and such.  the sand bed could have had gunk in it, the rock could be full of phosphates, there could be alot of die off from the move.  when you check your water and see no amonia, nitrite and nitrate your good to go.  you might have a mini cycle, and you have to wait for that to finish before adding anything else.  no point in buying a $50 fish and having it die. 

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Patience is key... take your time. Adding too much too quickly will wipe everything out in your newly established tank.

As Mark says, check your ammonia levels, and if it is at 0, you know that your tank has cycled.

By adding your established rock and sand, will only help speed things up, but check your numbers.

If you really want to, you can add a clown, but it just adds to your bio-load, and if things aren't cycled, can just make the cycle longer.

Good luck.

xxmurrxx

I would honestly wait longer, Everyone says wait.. wait.. wait.. thats what I was told when I started out and I did not listen lol.
Early I had readings of 0 across the board.. Added fish and everything went to hell.

My readings quickly went up and took a long time to fall back down.
Cost me $100+ in fish and medicine (not needed because it was actually my water not the fish)

If your pretty set on trying some live stock right away, I would at least get a cheap fish.. Chromis maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.