what did I do Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinkerbell

Re: what am I doing wrong?

You are the Best Dan. Thank you for recommending it. I must say I was still searching for which one I wanted and I probably paid to much but when I saw it sitting there ready to go tonight......I couldnt resist. The thing is a monster.

I'm also gonna take your advice and when I replumb overflows I'm gonna put a tee fitting like your sump. The pictures and the drawing you sent today were awesome. Thank You so much. When I have more money I'll send it your way. For now the banks closed LMAO.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

Tinkerbell link said:
The Bubbles are Gone, The Bubbles are gone.  :p

Thank You to Dan at RA for the suggestion of the filter socks. Go figure eh. They already fixed this problem. Thanks To Gary at Sealife for having some. I also Bought the Vertech In 180 skimmer. Merry Christmas to Me.

On a sad note, my water tested positive for ammonia which is unexpected. I got a shot of Ammonia detox (thx Sealife) and some Seachem Stabilizer. Thought I was doing ok. Best we can figure out is that I disturbed The deep sand bed in my fuge.

My Hippo Is not coming out to eat tonight which is very unusual. I'll give him tonight and if he doesn't get better I will post him up. He needs to go to at least a 90g tank. If you promise to give me visitations then he doesn't have to come back.  He and the Sailfin were buddies. He has been fine all this time till I gave him a bigger tank. Talk about a sincere mistake.

Good advice: get a good skimmer and filter socks.
Bad advice: Pour some shit in your tank to take care of some sort of imbalance.

I wish to wishes that someone had been blunt with me all those years ago, and saved me going through likely exactly what you are going through now.  I wanted a saltwater tank with all the nice fish and corals and inverts and happy thoughts, and I WANT IT YESTERDAY!!!  I rushed everything, and everything went to shit, again and again.  Every time something was wrong, some jackpipe would sell me something to 'fix' it.  Looking back I really can't believe how much I must of spent on snake oil.

BLUNT: Slow down, stop putting stuff in your tank to fix problems.  Let everything work itself out.  You should only have damsels in there if it's a new tank, period.  ALL you need is good filtration, 0TDS water for your weekly water changes, good flow, and good lighting.  That's pretty much it.  Until you are ready for sps (which you're not), you don't really need to dose ANYTHING.  As time goes on, you might add GFO and carbon to extract some inevitable buildup of matter, but let the tank do the work.  Stop buying anything that you pour in.  I say all this because I see myself pouring anti ammonia gunk to battle the ammonia, or 'red slime remover' to kill red slime, or 'sparkling clear' to get rid of cloudiness.  For years and years, and when would happen when the tank finally self destructed (and you'll KNOW when that happens), you'll be told 'oh that's just OTS (old tank syndrome) happens to everyone, you gotta start over....here's some chemicals to get you started..."

If something goes wrong in my tank, and hey it does, I always figure on 5 to 10 days to get everything back to normal.  I -try- to ascertain what is wrong, then I -slooooowly- try and remedy it.  I can't even imagine pouring a bottle of who-knows-what in to battle an ammonia spike. 

Sorry to come off like a broken record.  Just remember, the LFS guys pay their mortgages with your money, they don't make any by saying "don't do anything, just leave it".  some are better than others, but they don't have the potions on the shelf for decorations.  Seriously, I hope you enjoy this hobby, but don't rush anything, and read A LOT. 

Tinkerbell

Ok. Well I'm glad you got that out. IMO I don't think they were selling me. I went to them to see why my fish were unhappy after the move. And just for your info he didn't charge me for the amonia detox. He took some out of his own bottle and gave me the proper dose for my set up. I thou gt this to be incredibly gracious and unlike typical lfs. He also sold me a small bottle off the stabalizer not wanting to upsize me to the more expensive "quicker" stuff or even the bigger bottle. So I bought the Vertex 180.

Just so we are clear, I am not new to this hobby. Back 10 years ago, I read every article that I could find and spent a full year planning my first tank.  I have never overloaded a system nor poured anything except b-ionic in. I am using the stabalizer to try to help my fish in this transition. I did not rush my tank either. I acclimated the two tanks together using buckets daily from my new display to my existing 90. Did this for over two weeks well waiting on my new return pump. Using all of my old water and my 100lbs established LR to do my new tank.

Now I could see you saying this if I had of went out and got a bunch of new fish but being that I have had the same 4 fish for years I think you are wrong. I don't think I could have done this tank any slower without causing more harm leaving my live stock in an un-sumped 90g.

I thank you for your input and your concern. I Will continue to add the stabalizer and in fact Will add more. If not for the Lfs advice but for my own peace of mind to know that I am doing everything possible to ensure the success of my tank. I also plan on water changes by week end.

Ps. I am thankful that I help the Lfs pay their mortgage. That way they can keep supplying me with information and quality goods.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
what am I doing wrong?

Tinkerbell link said:
Ok. Well I'm glad you got that out. IMO I don't think they were selling me. I went to them to see why my fish were unhappy after the move. And just for your info he didn't charge me for the amonia detox. He took some out of his own bottle and gave me the proper dose for my set up. I thou gt this to be incredibly gracious and unlike typical lfs. He also sold me a small bottle off the stabalizer not wanting to upsize me to the more expensive \"quicker\" stuff or even the bigger bottle. So I bought the Vertex 180.

Just so we are clear, I am not new to this hobby. Back 10 years ago, I read every article that I could find and spent a full year planning my first tank.  I have never overloaded a system nor poured anything except b-ionic in. I am using the stabalizer to try to help my fish in this transition. I did not rush my tank either. I acclimated the two tanks together using buckets daily from my new display to my existing 90. Did this for over two weeks well waiting on my new return pump. Using all of my old water and my 100lbs established LR to do my new tank.

Now I could see you saying this if I had of went out and got a bunch of new fish but being that I have had the same 4 fish for years I think you are wrong. I don't think I could have done this tank any slower without causing more harm leaving my live stock in an un-sumped 90g.

I thank you for your input and your concern. I Will continue to add the stabalizer and in fact Will add more. If not for the Lfs advice but for my own peace of mind to know that I am doing everything possible to ensure the success of my tank. I also plan on water changes by week end.

Ps. I am thankful that I help the Lfs pay their mortgage. That way they can keep supplying me with information and quality goods.

+1

R

reeffreak

what am I doing wrong?

I don't get it, why ask the questions then, we're just wasting time

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin

I am more than happy to keep reading your "why is this happening" and "what am I doing wrong?" threads, but even if one little thing I said sinks in over time, then it was a worthwhile post.  This wasn't a criticism of you, it's a "oh hey we've been there, and guess what there's no magic fix".

That said, good luck to you two, hopefully it doesn't take 15 years to figure out.  Cheers.

R

reeffreak

what am I doing wrong?

Salty Cracker link said:
I am more than happy to keep reading your \"why is this happening\" and \"what am I doing wrong?\" threads, but even if one little thing I said sinks in over time, then it was a worthwhile post.  This wasn't a criticism of you, it's a \"oh hey we've been there, and guess what there's no magic fix\".

That said, good luck to you two, hopefully it doesn't take 15 years to figure out.  Cheers.

+1

Tinkerbell

I Will never know everything about this hobby. I really assumed I would not go thru a cycle. I knw a lot of people that have moved one tank to another with way more livestock and never had any issues.

I think where I went wrong is when I added the live sand to the display and then because of the pump failing I was delayed in switching the system over. It was only a week but maybe it was long enough to start the ammonia.

I just wanted to say I wasn't looking for a quick fix. I was hoping for my fish sake that there was something that could help the cycle because I have no where else to put them. My other tank is gone. I also want to say that I love this forum and have been thankful to have it. if not I would have no one to bounce these questions off of. Some Lfs are bad and some do genuine care that you succeed. I know I used to work for one way back. And depending of if they liked you. IME Sealife and RA have done their best at helping me and couldn't ask them to do more.

Tinkerbell

I hope you Will continue putting your input on my "I don't know threads". I love the advice and even the feedback. Although the hobby isn't new to me this tank is. And it is a huge change from my comfortable little 90g to this massive new system. I Will admit that I mis judged the shear size difference till I set it up. I Will spend my time working out the kinks and getting the system running smooth before adding anything. I promise.

I am an advocate for going slow. It used to drive me crazy when people would come in to buy a saltwater tank and a fish the same day. Or when they wanted nemo with their guppies. I guess I don't want it to be assumed that I would be that person.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.