What Do You Think Of My Shopping List

Canadianeh

I am going to set up a new salt water tank and the following is what I am going to buy. Please let me know your thoughts and if I am missing anything :)
I will get the MP10 later when I decide to put LPS or SPS. I still have to order Nanobox Duo Plus M from Nanobox and Idip. My wife is going to kill me LOL

Now just the waiting game.
smile.png

• 3x 5G food grade container jug
  • Floating glass thermometer
  • Eheim (Ebo) Jager 150W Heater (13 inch)
  • Spectrapure MaxCap 90GPD-MF 5 stage RODI w/ dual tds, ASO and membrane flush
  • Tunze comline DOC Skimmer 9004
  • Tunze osmolator NANO 3152 - auto top off
  • 50 lbs of Marco Rock - Premium Dry Key Largo
  • Cobalt Aquatics MJ-1200 Multi-Purpose Powerhead/Pump (295 GPH)
  • Finnex HC-0800U Electronic Temperature Controller
  • Eheim 24 inch Tongs
  • Coralife Aqua Gloves (One Pair Shoulder Length Protective Gloves)
  • Milwaukee digital refractometer
  • Innovative MArine NUVO Aquarium - Fusion Mini 40
  • Tunze Care Magnet Nano Algae Cleaner
  • 2x Boyd Chemi-Pure Blue 11oz
  • Innovative Marine Auqa Gadget AccuDrip Acclimator
  • 2x Innovative Marine AUQA Gadget Spin Stream - Return Nozzle
  • Innovative Marine High Gloss Cabinet Stand for 25 and 40 Gallon- Obsidian Black
  • 2x CaribSea Arag Alive Special Grade Reef Sand 20 lbs - Live Sand (00790)
  • Finnex 150W heater, with electronic temp control & Guard
  • Seachem Ammonia alert
  • 10" fish net
  • 25 kgs Aquaforest Reef Salt
  • Nanobox Duo Plus M with 15" gooseneck hang kit
  • Idip Marine Kit
  • 2x Intank Media basket
  • Innovative Marine Gourmet Gadgets Kit
  • 2x Innovative Marine Desktop Fish guard
  • Poly filter floss value pack
  • Innovative Marine Reef Rack 50 (got it for free from InTank)

Last edited:

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Not overly familiar with this tank.
But a couple of things.

Isn't this an AIO tank? If so, where do you plan to use the filter socks?

You also said "mini max reactor" or an ATO. Two different things. One is a reactor and the other is an auto top off.

Also, my personal preference. But not a fan of cobalt heaters. I only run Eheim Jäger heaters

One other thing. If this is a AIO tank. I would suggest NOT to have a full lid. Go with a custom screen top. @JTacrylics makes a pretty slick one. The reason for that is gas exchange. Would be different if you had a sump. But with an AIO tank. There's no where for the gases to go or fresh air to get back in.

Just some food for thought. Also, I am not familiar with this tank.

Sony Xperia Z3

Canadianeh

Not overly familiar with this tank.
But a couple of things.

Isn't this an AIO tank? If so, where do you plan to use the filter socks?

You also said "mini max reactor" or an ATO. Two different things. One is a reactor and the other is an auto top off.

Also, my personal preference. But not a fan of cobalt heaters. I only run Eheim Jäger heaters

One other thing. If this is a AIO tank. I would suggest NOT to have a full lid. Go with a custom screen top. @JTacrylics makes a pretty slick one. The reason for that is gas exchange. Would be different if you had a sump. But with an AIO tank. There's no where for the gases to go or fresh air to get back in.

Just some food for thought. Also, I am not familiar with this tank.

Sony Xperia Z3

Sorry for the confusion....I guess you can tell right away how "green" I am :p
I have removed the ATO from the list.

So I don't need filter socks if I use custom caddy media, correct? I did not know whether I need it or not but it is one of the items that recommended on the IM tank manual.

Any reason why you don't like Cobalt heater? What's the pros of Eheim Jager heaters?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Sorry for the confusion....I guess you can tell right away how "green" I am :p
I have removed the ATO from the list.

So I don't need filter socks if I use custom caddy media, correct? I did not know whether I need it or not but it is one of the items that recommended on the IM tank manual.

Any reason why you don't like Cobalt heater? What's the pros of Eheim Jager heaters? Any heaters that has digital display?

No worries. Remember, no such thing as a stupid question in this hobby.

I'd recommend an ATO though. With an AIO, evaporation can become an issue for stability. But, you can always add it down the road.

I've just had bad experiences from cobalt heaters with voltage leak. I prefer the EJ's just because that's what I use. I've had many over the years and they usually last 10+ yrs. @Kman has one that's close to 20yrs, if I remember correctly.

Lots of people like the finnex titanium heaters with separate temp controller.

The only digital display heater I remember is the Fluvals. Personally, I'm not a fan.

Canadianeh

No worries. Remember, no such thing as a stupid question in this hobby.

I'd recommend an ATO though. With an AIO, evaporation can become an issue for stability. But, you can always add it down the road.

I've just had bad experiences from cobalt heaters with voltage leak. I prefer the EJ's just because that's what I use. I've had many over the years and they usually last 10+ yrs. @Kman has one that's close to 20yrs, if I remember correctly.

Lots of people like the finnex titanium heaters with separate temp controller.

The only digital display heater I remember is the Fluvals. Personally, I'm not a fan.

what do you think of Hydro Fill ATO Controller and Pump? Any recommendation?

Is there anything important that is missing from my list? Any recommendation?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
what do you think of Hydro Fill ATO Controller and Pump? Any recommendation?

Is there anything important that is missing from my list? Any recommendation?
Hydro fill seems like a good one. I think a few members here have them and like it.

Your list is a great start. You can always add stuff later too.
You've also factored into your budget;
Salt, Cr Coral, rock, buckets, rodi etc etc..

also, do you know where I can buy Nanobox Duo LED in Canada?
Sorry can't help ya there

Canadianeh

what do you guys think of Reef Octopus NS80 skimmer compare to Auqa Ghost skimmer? Some reviews suggest that Auqa Ghost skimmer is loud and etc?

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Because they work so well, are fairly quite, are easier to clean, all models of reef octopus are well know for pulling some good nasty skin out of the tank, my bh1000 works amazing!, also reef octopus is more high end in my opinion, well better made anyways:)

Canadianeh

Because they work so well, are fairly quite, are easier to clean, all models of reef octopus are well know for pulling some good nasty skin out of the tank, my bh1000 works amazing!, also reef octopus is more high end in my opinion, well better made anyways:)
are they really more high end? In term of price, Auqa Ghost Skimmer desktop version is actually almost for times then Reef Octopus NS80?!?

Which Reef Octopus skimmer do you recommend for IM Fusion Nuvo 25 Lagoon tank?

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Price isn't always everything, your best bet is to go to each site and read reviews on the skimmers, or wait for someone who maybe has one of either to chime in , sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, and go for it , or wait and see what one wins you over:)

Canadianeh

Price isn't always everything, your best bet is to go to each site and read reviews on the skimmers, or wait for someone who maybe has one of either to chime in , sometimes you just have to bite the bullet, and go for it , or wait and see what one wins you over:)

I understand. It is just usually the high end models have higher price.

I did read some reviews about how loud and so so performance of Ghost skimmer. I think I will not go with it.

Canadianeh

Hydro fill seems like a good one. I think a few members here have them and like it.

Your list is a great start. You can always add stuff later too.
You've also factored into your budget;
Salt, Cr Coral, rock, buckets, rodi etc etc..

Sorry can't help ya there

What is your opinion of using reactor or intank media? Which one is best?
Also what do you think of chemipure blue?

Kman

Super Active Member

I am not a fan of cobalt heaters to. I have had them stick on and nuke a smaller tank on me twice or they leak and add voltage into the tank. I only run Eheim Jäger heaters and I do one that is over 20 years. I had two but I dropped one a few weeks ago. :'(

Get a ATO. Best bang for your buck for a hardware purchase. This is one that actually makes a big difference.

Canadianeh

I am not a fan of cobalt heaters to. I have had them stick on and nuke a smaller tank on me twice or they leak and add voltage into the tank. I only run Eheim Jäger heaters and I do one that is over 20 years. I had two but I dropped one a few weeks ago. :'(

Get a ATO. Best bang for your buck for a hardware purchase. This is one that actually makes a big difference.

Do Eheim Jager make the heaters with digital readings? how about Fenix heaters? https://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-...r-with-electronic-temp-control-and-Guard.html

Which ATO that you recommends and why?

What is your opinion of using reactor or intank media? Which one is best?
Also what do you think of chemipure blue?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Those finnex heaters have a very good reputation. it's nice to have the separate temp controller too if you don't plan to run an aquarium controller like an Apex or Reefkeeper

Chemi pure blue is a great product. But I wouldn't concern yourself with a reactor right away. Depending on your source water and your bio load. You may not need to run the reactor. But you won't know until you set the tank up and begin testing the water.

You should be more concerned about what salt you're going to use, where and what type of water you're going to use and get a set of good quality test kits.

Sony Xperia Z3

Canadianeh

Those finnex heaters have a very good reputation. it's nice to have the separate temp controller too if you don't plan to run an aquarium controller like an Apex or Reefkeeper

Chemi pure blue is a great product. But I wouldn't concern yourself with a reactor right away. Depending on your source water and your bio load. You may not need to run the reactor. But you won't know until you set the tank up and begin testing the water.

You should be more concerned about what salt you're going to use, where and what type of water you're going to use and get a set of good quality test kits.

Sony Xperia Z3

So are you suggesting to use intank media then? In order from the top to the bottom, what should I put in those chambers? Which salt, water, and test kits you recommend, Eric? :)