What do you use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewel

Hi All Reefers,  I will be redoing my plumbing on my 150, And in turn trying to quiet down my overflows. I have 2 in each corner of the tank, at present its just open pipe. So what do you use?

Durso , Stand Pipe, Bean Animal or maybe a Hofer or maybe something else. 

spyd

Super Active Member
Go Herbie method to reduce the noise drastically. One full siphon using a gate valve and the other one just slightly above your ideal water level in your tank. No noise whatsoever! Only catch is you would have to bring the return lines over the back of the tank.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Bean animal here, after hearing some other setups.. you really cant beat it, Silent is the best description.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Jewel link said:
I don't think that is an option Derek, I would have to plug 2 holes on the bottom of the tank.
Pretty easy to do.  leave the 2 bulkheads in and get plugs.  they are under 2 bucks each at lowes.

Or,, there is no reason why you cant have full syphon in one corner, and an emergency in the other corner.  still using your two returns.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
nitro069 link said:
I have a durso standpipe and find it to be very quiet. I can hear the water draining into my sump way more then the drain up top

This is exactly what I'm referring to, it's easy to get the gurlge to stop.. But if your letting air in the pipe its always going to be loud down in the sump

nitro069

Duke link said:
[quote author=nitro069 link=topic=4038.msg36160#msg36160 date=1358212758]
I have a durso standpipe and find it to be very quiet. I can hear the water draining into my sump way more then the drain up top

This is exactly what I'm referring to, it's easy to get the gurlge to stop.. But if your letting air in the pipe its always going to be loud down in the sump
[/quote]

I just recently changed to a sump from a hob system so the noise difference is night and day. Maybe after a bit I will change to something different. Would restricting the flow of my discharde pipe make any difference??

spyd

Super Active Member
Maybe you could use one stand pipe as the full siphon on one side and 1 standpipe on the other side for your emergency. Then, use the the extra hole on each side for your return plumbing. What size are the bulkheads for the drain pipes? If they are 1 1/2", you could easily do this.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
spyd link said:
Maybe you could use one stand pipe as the full siphon on one side and 1 standpipe on the other side for your emergency. Then, use the the extra hole on each side for your return plumbing. What size are the bulkheads for the drain pipes? If they are 1 1/2\", you could easily do this.
Thats what i said.. lol

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
wont the water in the second overflow go stagnant? u could use the full siphon in one overflow and have the emergency and trickle pipes in the other, that way your at least keeping the water moving in both.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
nitro069 link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=4038.msg36203#msg36203 date=1358228961]
[quote author=nitro069 link=topic=4038.msg36160#msg36160 date=1358212758]

[/quote]

I just recently changed to a sump from a hob system so the noise difference is night and day. Maybe after a bit I will change to something different. Would restricting the flow of my discharde pipe make any difference??
[/quote]

i wouldnt do that myself, if the noise isnt bothering you, your good to go. but remember if you only have 1 drain pipe your already playing with fire, pinching it off is almost a for sure failure waiting to happen.. if anything gets in that pipe your screwed.

Jewel

I was gonna say that it'll move in both but then again you are talking about the water in the overflow its self, Not sure how to get around that, I read in a post that when you have corner overflows that they act as a Refugeum. Imagine putting Rock in there. But back to the pipes. Yes Derek they are 1 1/2 inch, I will be doing a DIY Stockman Pipe on both sides one a little higher than the other.

Went out today and picked up the fittings at TSC store and then Rona as well, And to Big Als in Kitchener for the bulk head that I needed. So Yes Derek you are right but Dave you are rightter cause you said it first LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.