What in the world is this stuff????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
ya if your ammonia is actually still that high, it will bother the fish. You know that burning feeling you get when you pee? (maybe just me:p) thats what it will feel like for the fish..except his gills

xxmurrxx

The die off / decay of the shrimp will raise your ammonia and start the cycle.
If your ammonia level has been high for a couple of days I would say it's safe to remove the shrimp.

I have read some people leave it in there to totally rot away but that will probably lengthen the process.

quikcolin

quikcolin link said:
Now I'm seeing tiny brown patches on my sand bed, and small yellow/gold spots forming all over my Eco Reefer rock, all of this is a new development since last night. 

It's pretty incredible.  Since this morning... The yellow (and a little bit of brown) spots have doubled! Covering all the eco-reefer rock, I'll snap a picture when I get a chance.  With my limited knowledge, I would have to think this is normal?  Is it the rocks "coming to life"?

quikcolin

You guys getting sick of all the naked rock photos I keep posting or what?!?!  ;D

Here is the yellow, brown ish spots all over the tank. Any idea what it is?  Blob79 had he guess, and may very well be right  ;), but as they say "a photo is worth a thousand words"

IMG_5786.jpg

IMG_5784.jpg

IMG_5783.jpg

Look to the right side, you'll see a dark brown tip poking off the inner corner of a rock... it has super fine "spikes" that are about a millimeter tall
IMG_5781.jpg

It has gone from a few spots about 4 hours ago... to a sh!t ton!  

Normal?  Problem?  I've removed the shrimp (thank god I did that before I had lunch!)

Thanks!

M

marks69

looks like diatoms to me.  new tank syndrome. it will clear up.
and did you eat the shrimp?

quikcolin

Thanks guys!  I'm happy to hear that I don't have a major problem on my hands!!  Thanks again for identify that for me.

The shrimp was delish!  :p  Next time I think I'd rather drink my own urine LOL

NEXT QUESTION

Other than filter floss, my tank isn't running anything.  I have a intank media basket with Pureigen & Chemi-Pure waiting for my cycle to complete.  Should I start using these yet?  They're not in the tank now... I'm thinking they would help with "things"???

S

shayneh

Hmmm! food source is gone and now the bacteria will be multiplying....I personally would wait a bit longer to let more of the bacteria develop the means to take care of pollutants before your chemical filtration (purigen and chemi) start up but that's just me. Whatever you decide really as it's all a matter of personal preference now.

quikcolin

shayneh link said:
Hmmm! food source is gone and now the bacteria will be multiplying....I personally would wait a bit longer to let more of the bacteria develop the means to take care of pollutants before your chemical filtration (purigen and chemi) start up but that's just me. Whatever you decide really as it's all a matter of personal preference now.

Food source, meaning the shrimp I've removed? I think I've decided to hold off on the Purigen and Chemi-Pure...

S

shayneh

I would say a water change in a few more days might help and mabye run some carbon to lose the nasty shrimp water smell.....It's hard to say without actually being there. Any new readings?

Status
Not open for further replies.