What Is In Your Fish Medicine Cabinet And Why?

Nick James

I have been reading up a lot on QT procedures and there really is a ton of options that can leave your head spinning.

I'd love to hear from the experienced fish people as to what meds they keep on hand, what your treatment procedure is when you obtain a new fish, and why?

I see options like paragaurd, prazipro, cupramine, copper, chloroquine phosphate, and various other "antibiotics" that can be used for various ailments. It gets a bit overwhelming.

Canadianeh

I have been reading up a lot on QT procedures and there really is a ton of options that can leave your head spinning.

I'd love to hear from the experienced fish people as to what meds they keep on hand, what your treatment procedure is when you obtain a new fish, and why?

I see options like paragaurd, prazipro, cupramine, copper, chloroquine phosphate, and various other "antibiotics" that can be used for various ailments. It gets a bit overwhelming.
I created another thread for similar purpose as well http://www.thefragtank.ca/community/threads/prevention-meds-on-quarantine-time.19958/#post-248788

Followed

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I have TriSulfa on hand at all times as it is a broad spectrum antibiotic. My other "go to" antibiotic is Furan 2. I also have Diamox on hand for gas bubble disease. All of my medicine use has been on my seahorses and all dosing has been done in a quarantine tank, not my DT. Also, I have Formalin because it helped eradicate an outbreak of ciliates that I had in the seahorses. That I did use in the DT. My reef tank, so far, (touch wood) hasn't had any sick fish but I would most likely start with one of my broad spectrum antibiotics.

Nick James

I have TriSulfa on hand at all times as it is a broad spectrum antibiotic. My other "go to" antibiotic is Furan 2. I also have Diamox on hand for gas bubble disease. All of my medicine use has been on my seahorses and all dosing has been done in a quarantine tank, not my DT. Also, I have Formalin because it helped eradicate an outbreak of ciliates that I had in the seahorses. That I did use in the DT. My reef tank, so far, (touch wood) hasn't had any sick fish but I would most likely start with one of my broad spectrum antibiotics.

How do you obtain trisulfa? Is it a prescription medication?