What is this? Please help!

Mauricio

Hello,

Could anybody help me identify what the rust-colored spots on my substrate and rock is? I've tried to stir it up to get rid of it, but it comes right back within a few hours. It is getting worse, too. I suspect it is some sort of algae, but I'm not sure. I am new to this hobby and any help on identifying and suggestions on how to get rid of this will be greatly appreciated!

Mauricio

Hello,

Could anybody help me identify what the rust-colored spots on my substrate and rock is? I've tried to stir it up to get rid of it, but it comes right back within a few hours. It is getting worse, too. I suspect it is some sort of algae, but I'm not sure. I am new to this hobby and any help on identifying and suggestions on how to get rid of this will be greatly appreciated!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
diatoms my good sir, EVERYONE starting a new tank gets them, nothing you can do about it and they can take anywhere from 4 weeks to a year to go away.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
diatoms my good sir, EVERYONE starting a new tank gets them, nothing you can do about it and they can take anywhere from 4 weeks to a year to go away.

Mauricio

Geez! I guess time cures it all, huh? Should I be leaving my lights off or just go business as usual? I also have some red hairy spots in my other tank. I believe that Cyanobacteria :-/. Should I be treating that with chemicals or just let I be as well?

Mauricio

Geez! I guess time cures it all, huh? Should I be leaving my lights off or just go business as usual? I also have some red hairy spots in my other tank. I believe that Cyanobacteria :-/. Should I be treating that with chemicals or just let I be as well?

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Business as usual stay on top of water changed and other maintenance, diatoms will come around if these are not being done as much also, not just because new tanks.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Business as usual stay on top of water changed and other maintenance, diatoms will come around if these are not being done as much also, not just because new tanks.