What is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arley

We are very new to saltwater.

First picture- This was on some live rock we bought. Just curious what it is...

Second picture- On a different rock, some type of soft coral...

Thanks in advance

reeffreak

Super Active Member
the first pic is macro algea thats dying and the second picture looks like some sort of leather but Im not sure on it . I would say tear that thing of the rock from the second picture , toss it out

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Re: Re: What is this?

reeffreak link said:
the first pic is macro algea thats dying and the second picture looks like some sort of leather but Im not sure on it . I would say tear that thing of the rock from the second picture , toss it out

+1 on the macro algae, looks like cheato, just not very healthy cheato. I would pull the cheato before it does off, but just my .02$

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Arley

Thanks everyone. I was thinking a Kenya tree but like I said, I'm new to all of this.

And I will pull off the chaeto. There's more of it that looks healthy in the tank anyhow.

Thanks,
Arley

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Read up on cheato if you do not know already. It has some great benefits to a tank if it is kept healthy. Look forward to seeing more posts... especially with photos ... specifically tank shots :)

Arley

I was hoping to be able to keep some chaeto right in the tank because of it's benefits.
We have a 16 gallon bow front. It's been up and running for 2 months or so. Live rock with tons of mini brittle star hitchhikers, spaghetti worms, centipede type crawlers, limpets. We purchased four throchus snails and one cerith snail- they have done a wonderful job cleaning up diatoms.
I will post pictures after my hubby arranges my rocks the way I want them.

Arley

Status
Not open for further replies.