What Kind Of Anemone

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Yes, but worlds of difference if you really look. Yours has a foot... I'm 99% sure the OP's has stems.

Yours are still stupid though, how many have gone through your powerheads? ;)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
In that first pic there's stems. Technically they all have feet, but aiptasia can't move. Bubble tips wander all over the damn place until they find a spot they like. Also, the bubble tip i had split into two pieces to reproduce, aiptasia just sprout because of evil magic.

I know you want them to be nice anemones, but I've had both.... and my money is still on aiptasia.

That pic I posted... red and green, and they're aiptasia. Now that said, I'd much rather be wrong than right on this, and I won't be unhappy if I am...but I've been around the block a few times with pretty much every pest you can imagine, and my first experience was with bubble-tip aiptasia, and I went through exactly the same thought process you are having...until I had 5000 "bubble tip anemones" and a lot of burned corals. :)

averhoog

In that first pic there's stems. Technically they all have feet, but aiptasia can't move. Bubble tips wander all over the damn place until they find a spot they like. Also, the bubble tip i had split into two pieces to reproduce, aiptasia just sprout because of evil magic.

I know you want them to be nice anemones, but I've had both.... and my money is still on aiptasia.

That pic I posted... red and green, and they're aiptasia. Now that said, I'd much rather be wrong than right on this, and I won't be unhappy if I am...but I've been around the block a few times with pretty much every pest you can imagine, and my first experience was with bubble-tip aiptasia, and I went through exactly the same thought process you are having...until I had 5000 "bubble tip anemones" and a lot of burned corals. :)
So how do I tell if it’s one way or the other. I had the one for 6 months or so. And never got bigger than a loonie. What’s the stem your talking about? I googled for a while now and can’t find a def answer. Since I never put it in there I’m pretty nervous what it is. The pics I’m finding look more like a rbta but there are some that are close to a manjo lol

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
This is a bta. Nothing in common with majano or aiptasia. Jesus. Its not even close. Wtf.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

majano-med.jpg

Hey expert, you do know that some aiptasia (such as the one above,m and elsewhere in the thread) are green, red and have bubble tips? Not really sure where you're getting "not even close".

OP... get some better shots of them, I'm still sticking with aiptasia until I see them walking around. Be careful of the armchair experts...you can always get another bubble tip, but good luck getting rid of aiptasia once they take over. :)

averhoog

View attachment 22538

Hey expert, you do know that some aiptasia (such as the one above,m and elsewhere in the thread) are green, red and have bubble tips? Not really sure where you're getting "not even close".

OP... get some better shots of them, I'm still sticking with aiptasia until I see them walking around. Be careful of the armchair experts...you can always get another bubble tip, but good luck getting rid of aiptasia once they take over. :)
There def are pictures of manjo that look really close but he rbta pics seem to match. It I want to make sure for sure what it is.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Having had majanos this is not one. All anemones move by the way.
Well yes and no. Aiptasia could probably move an inch in a year, anenomes can move an inch in half an hour.

Anyway, I really don't have a dog in this fight. If everyone wants to believe those are legit "bonus anemones" I'm good with it. Personally, I think $20 per nudi is extortion, so I'll stick with killing anything that even looks like aiptasia, which I have to do because 20 years ago someone sold me a "bonus bubble tip", and it's the gift that keeps on giving, even surviving tank moves and only bringing frags to the new tank.

Myself, I'd suspect anyone who sells nudis telling me that aiptasia are bubble tips, but that's the cynical side of me.

OP. Let us know what they turn out to be. Like I said I'd rather be wrong on this one... but 20 years tells me I'm not. No such thing as a "bonus" bubble tip just appearing on some liverock.

Sasha T

Website
www.instagram.com
Given that the one thing everyone seems to agree on is that anemone are able to change location, wouldn't a simple test be to place the invert in a fresh saltwater filled bucket with small heater, pump and a light source above it, and have the rock it's on rotated so that it obscures most of the light from above? They're photosynthetic so within 24 hours they should be able to change position to relocate to where they are getting light.

Hardly 100% bulletproof but it does confirm that it has a foot as opposed to a rooted stem, and with no risk to the DT.

Matt1997

The argument is mojano/aiptasia/RBTA. All are anemones so the creature will move regardless. Zap an Aiptasia with vinegar if you want. Guarantee it pokes out a different crevice in the rock a second time.

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
I seem to have a better grasp of animal taxonomy than you do. I also dont have a shitty "just kill it" attitude. I fucking wish idiots like you would just keep their traps shut

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Yo yo bring it down a notch there Meat Hooker, you do realize who you are talking to right? Mr SaltyCracker,, if you had even a percent of the knowledge G dog has youd know better to just keep your mouth shut and carry on, @Salty Cracker are you hearing this piddle puddle back talk ?¿ cut from the team..

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I have a feeling we're going to have to ban that guy's IP... just a feeling...

I haven't had to use the ban hammer in a loooong time. That guy should mellow out and get a reef tank or something. Funny thing is I was actually trying to get a rise out of Matt because I know he's a big boy and can take it, that guy just took the ball and ran with it. (sorry Matt) ;)

Mutton Biryani

They are about the size of a loonie had the one for about 6 months just noticed the second on today. I thought it split from on of my flame tips but it never grew. There are both in the pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought two of these from averhog this past winter. Should I be concerned LOL?

They've both grown a lot but haven't split once. They also move around a lot. The larger one looks like a flame tip.

The small one had bubble tips when I first got it, but as it grew it lost them. A clown hosts it too. It has more of an open space near the mouth. Looks kind of like that majano picture above

Here are a few pictures over the months I've had them. The first picture is a few weeks after I got them. I moved the bigger one to my DT later. The small one looks so different from when I first had it.
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
4.jpeg