WHAT KIND OF SKIMMER TO BUY?! AHHHH!!!

RYOUNVS

Ok... there are SOOO many skimmers out there! From what I've read, Reef Octopus seems like a GREAT brand. So, I search on bulkreefsupply and there are SOOO many skimmers out there by RO! Which one should I get? I'd like to pay around $200. I have a 90 gallon DT and I think around 30 gallon sump. I would like the skimmer to be as quiet as possible. Space isn't really an issue in this sump I don't believe.

I don't have the experience to say 'this is a good one' or 'this is better than that one'.

Suggestions please and thank you!

harleymike

Super Active Member
Search skimmer. There was just a few conversations on here about skimmers.
I just baought a reef octopus 2000. You would need the size down from that one.
Mine is great, couldn't be any happier. Very quite too.
Mike

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Definitely lots of options, not something you want to skimp on though.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
like bob said yu dont wanna skimp on a skimmer.    if yur gonna upgrade tanks down the road. buy a bigger skimmer then what yur rated for now    hard to get a good one for 200 bucks

theyangman

Distinguished Member
200 is gonna be tough. Often times you get what you pay for. Spending a little more could secure you a good one.

say in the 300-400 range.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I am really no help when it comes to skimmers.... ive run the same one for a few years now and never really had to look into them too hard. However i know what you mean by being overwhelmed by selection.....ive glanced at them a couple times and would barely know where to begin. From what ive heard is you want one that pulls a lot of air in to mix with water and that is done mostly by the pump which seems to be the downfall in most skimmers. The mixing pump seems to either perform poorly and even stop working on some.....research the heck out of them on other forums too like rc and r2r....

KBennett

If you can't spring for the reef octopus, you might want to look into the jns co-1 coneS skimmer.  Do a crap load of research first though.  I think I have decided on that brand over the reef octopus for my tank.  They are sold as Aquamaxx coneS in the states.
There are really 4 types of reef octopus:
Diablo - dc pumps - no one is really sure if that's a good thing.
ro Nwb - needle wheel pump
Sro - same body as nwb, but with the better blaster pump
Sro xp- same as Sro, but the body is a full cone.

Did I get that right?

It gets confusing.  Someone mentioned above that they have a 2000.  They should have specified which 2000 xp or ps.  No one calls the other model ps, but it  is written across the front of it.

Jewel

I've been looking for awhile and finally decided on the Vertex Omega 130, I looked at quite a few and after seeing the build quality of the Vertex 150, I decided on the 130

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I see it's discontinued, so you may not be able to get parts/have it serviced. And yes look for reviews

RYOUNVS

unibob link said:
I see it's discontinued, so you may not be able to get parts/have it serviced. And yes look for reviews

Nah, just not available from that site. Many other sites have them for sale. Carl is actually ordering it in for Friday, so he must be getting it from one of his suppliers somewhere. From what I've read it's a great skimmer. I watched Mrsaltwater TV on youtube, he did a review of it, seemed to be good. Only negative he had was that some people may not like that you can have it out of the sump, and then would require a return pump for it too.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
RYOUNVS link said:
[quote author=unibob link=topic=7199.msg73947#msg73947 date=1387493624]

Nah, just not available from that site. Many other sites have them for sale. Carl is actually ordering it in for Friday, so he must be getting it from one of his suppliers somewhere. From what I've read it's a great skimmer. I watched Mrsaltwater TV on youtube, he did a review of it, seemed to be good. Only negative he had was that some people may not like that you can have it out of the sump, and then would require a return pump for it
[/quote]some of the ballers will tell yu not to put the skimmer outside of the sump ......yu will have a floor full of water and skimmate.  ..when it goes nuts.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Petercar link said:
[quote author=RYOUNVS link=topic=7199.msg73948#msg73948 date=1387494058]
[quote author=unibob link=topic=7199.msg73947#msg73947 date=1387493624]

Nah, just not available from that site. Many other sites have them for sale. Carl is actually ordering it in for Friday, so he must be getting it from one of his suppliers somewhere. From what I've read it's a great skimmer. I watched Mrsaltwater TV on youtube, he did a review of it, seemed to be good. Only negative he had was that some people may not like that you can have it out of the sump, and then would require a return pump for it
[/quote]some of the ballers will tell yu not to put the skimmer outside of the sump ......yu will have a floor full of water and skimmate.  ..when it goes nuts.
[/quote]

Yeah that is insane. I cannot imagine running an external skimmer. The risk of concentrated organic black death on my floors terrifies me. At least if it goes nuts right now, it is contained in my sump.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
OK.. I'll be the one.. U really should make a different skimmer choice. That hydor skimmer sucks big time, if u can I would go a different route.. You would be better off with anything in that same price range instead.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
I would find a quality used one instead of a cheap new one. 
If you want a Sro 3000 I have one I will sell u in your price range.  Just sitting here collecting dust anyway. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk