what process is need if I use dry rock only i

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidewaze

Ok just getting started and I'm in no hurry to populate my tank. I have a 90g with 20g sump/refugium, 600gph overflow, 2 1300gph overheads and 300w heaters for tank and sump. I have 40lbs of Key Largo rock and another 100 on its way plus my ro/di system. What process is needed to start my system if I use dry rock only? Does this Dr. Tims start the process? Can i add live rock to this if I decide to add 10-15lbs of live? Looking for pointers or pitfalls with this plan. I'm also looking to build a 30-35g sump/refugium once I find a cheap tank. Thanks for any help.

xxmurrxx

From what I understand you don't need anything to get it going, eventually it'll all become "live" rock.
The two thing you mentioned (bacteria in a bottle, and live rock) will help speed up the process though.
With live rock you may introduce unwanted pests right from the get go, and that sucks to start a tank right away and have a problem.
On the other hand live rock can introduce good critters to your tank.

I have used the sachem stabilize to start my tank, seemed to work out good. Never tried without doing anything though so i'm not 100% on that, someone here will probably confirm or not.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I started my frag tank with dry rock only. To speed up the process, as soon as the salt was mixed and in the tank I would take a cupful or 2 of water from my cube every day and just dump it in tank.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Time and any bit of organic matter.  Bacteria in a bottle kick start it.

spyd

Super Active Member
I used Dr. Tims as well and it seemed to work for me. Mind you, I also used about 15 lbs of live rock in my sump just to help with the bacteria. Once you add Dr. Tims, just remember that the bacteria will die-off if there is no nitrates to feed it. So, be sure to add a bit of fish food once or twice a week just to let it breakdown and create some nitrates in the tank. Once you add a fish, then you can stop adding excess food.

Sidewaze

Ok sounds good. It killing me waiting for more rock and ro/di system can't do much without it. Lol. Think I've decided on red sea pro kit what else is need for testing the water? Is a refractor better to use than hydromoter ? I seen a combo package RHS-10ATC and a PH-025 for 36 dollars are they good? Just want to make smart purchases so ask the ones who know rather than sales pitch.

xxmurrxx

Refractometer for sure, you'll save yourself from tones of headaches.

I have the red sea test kit for cal, mag, and alk. I'm a fan of their new test kits. Not sure what's in the pro kit but you'll need ammonia nitrate and nitrite test kits. I wouldn't worry too much about calcium and such while your cycling your tank

Status
Not open for further replies.