What pump to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmonker

Hey guys, so im planning out my new system and trying to figure out which pump to buy?

So my sump is going to be in the basment and my display is going to be on the main floor! So i have to run pvc 7ft up and 9ft over and then another 4ft to the tank?

I''m not looking to relie on this pump for water movement, il be using wavemaker and powerheads for water movement!

Cheers

chrisstevens

Website
flybikes.wixsite.com
Me and neo both use the reeflo hammerhead gold hybrid using the smaller barracuda impeller. Also were running them wide open., with slip stream going to fuge, and running reactors. you could probably get by with a bit smaller pump though if you want a lower flow.

jmonker

Ya i was thinking that!

Another question, I'm building my sump and i just picked up some plexi-glass, I'm wondering where and how n how high i should put my plexi? should i put a bubble trap?

What design i should go with?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
if the pump output is 1.5... use 1.5 inch pipe up to the tank and then split into 2 - 1" lines back in to the tank.  Never reduce the pump input plumbign size or restrict the pump with a valve on the suction

I have 3 1" drains.... 2 are running full siphon and 1 is a trickle.  So its basically a herbie.  If you go with just two drains or what I did then you need/should implement some sort of anti overflow kinda thing with a controller and float switches. 

If you run the three drains, 1 siphone 1 trickle and 1 emerg you can bypass the controller safety stuff.  The idea with the emergency drain is that if your full siphon line gets blocked for whatever reason all that extra water will end up going down the emerg drain and not overflowing on the floor upstairs.

I wish I had gone alrger with my drains as even in the basement the Hammerhead/barracuda pump is almost too much for 2 1" siphons.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
If you are going with a reeflo pump... get the gold version if you can... defintly worth it.

chrisstevens

Website
flybikes.wixsite.com
For return, use whatever size the discharge of the pump is, for drains i would also say minimum of two, one full suction(with valve) other just slight trickle , so it's dead silent and can also drain if other becomes partially blocked.  I actually have 4 drains on my tank ( 2 1" full siphons, 1 3/4 trickle drain, and another 3/4 emergency drain. as for sump design that up to you, same with baffle height but you'll have to raise your skimmer up depending on the height. I also added bubble traps in my sump just recently as i was geting alot of carry over. Neo isn't running as big of skimmer as me so it is not as much of a problem for him. Easier to add them now than to add them when the system is already up an running like i did.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Neopimp link said:
if the pump output is 1.5... use 1.5 inch pipe up to the tank and then split into 2 - 1\" lines back in to the tank.  Never reduce the pump input plumbign size or restrict the pump with a valve on the suction

That is a very good point!

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
BIGSHOW link said:
[quote author=Neopimp link=topic=3832.msg33937#msg33937 date=1356128347]
if the pump output is 1.5... use 1.5 inch pipe up to the tank and then split into 2 - 1\" lines back in to the tank.  Never reduce the pump input plumbign size or restrict the pump with a valve on the suction

That is a very good point!
[/quote]

should throw in there also that you can reduce or restrict the flow on the output side of those pumps if you want to dial back the flow, supposedly for a decent savings in power consumpstion, sounds good on paper but how true it is im not sure.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
its very true:)

the amount of power used is almost directly realted to the amunt of energy it takes to move water.  By Pinching back the pump you are movingless water and therefore using less power.  This is assuming the pump motor bearing and other engry losses are minimal :)

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Neopimp link said:

the amount of power used is almost directly realted to the amunt of energy it takes to move water.  By Pinching back the pump you are movingless water and therefore using less power.  This is assuming the pump motor bearing and other engry losses are minimal :)

Ya that's good to know, thanks. I really think its the way to go, im only running a little snapper but its still a great pump... and according to the graphs was using very little energy.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Neopimp link said:

From my underdstanding this is only true for non pressure rated pumps.  Pressure rated pumps actually go up in electrical usage when restricted.

In the end its best to use a kill a watt to REALLY see what is going on the the pump.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I just remember seeing this photo from their site that claims the power consumption, it would be interesting for someone with a kill a watt thingy to test it out.

600_GOLD-Hybrid.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.