What pump to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Crappy tire has something like it..not called kill a watt.

I could always be wrong but i have read that before....i dont know what makes a "pressure" rated pump different.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Power = volts x amps

pinch back the pump and watch the amps drop.

yes its not exact because of power factor or the inductive load from the motor but for all general purposes it true.  Even with pressure pumps as they are all centrifugal pumps.  The only difference is the impellor and volute design.

:)

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
He motor still spins the same....how does pinching the out put reduce the power or work of the motor...pinching would create back pressure.  I dont see where volts x amps explains anything here.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
assuming the pump is a perfectly efficient unit all the energy used by the pump is used to do work,  which is moving water.  If the pump moves no water ans since its a pefectly lossless fictional pump, there is no energy usage.

Edit:
Real world power in goes to yes increasing pressure but mainly to move water... The motor uses enegy up in heat and friction and various tiher things.

Generally if you move less water you will use less power..... Voltage is basically constant so you will see the amps drop off as you restrict the pump output.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I am not saying you are wrong.  Just writing short posts since I am on my phone.

We are both right :)

If those charts are accurate you can see power consumption rise at first due to the increasing pressure being generated...
then it falls off as the max pressure is passed and flows decrease more. 

Kind of gettign off topic anyways lol

I know blob had a killa wat thing.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Im running 1.5" pipe on the output with a 1.5" pipe manifold with 2x 3/4" returns to the tank and 1/2" output for my gfo reactor. all three are slightly pinched back. also im only running 1" drains but if your doing the inbasement sump you are going to want 1.5" 

looking around I found some info about the power consumption topic, http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2070303 Post #5 is the only guy on there that actually tested to see what happens when you pinch it off, seems some reeflo's are using more hydro than advertised also.

jmonker

Duke link said:
Im running 1.5\" pipe on the output with a 1.5\" pipe manifold with 2x 3/4\" returns to the tank and 1/2\" output for my gfo reactor. all three are slightly pinched back. also im only running 1\" drains but if your doing the inbasement sump you are going to want 1.5\" 

looking around I found some info about the power consumption topic, http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2070303 Post #5 is the only guy on there that actually tested to see what happens when you pinch it off, seems some reeflo's are using more hydro than advertised also.

Wow thats a interested thread!

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
head pressure is basically all the resistance the pump is gogin to run into that includes friction in pipe, energy losses from 90 elbows... height of water pump.... all those gen broken down to equivalent Head Pressure.  If you are running a setup liek mine I have roughly 15ft of head.  Not 15ft total height but that basically what the pump thinks....  10ft vertical (10ft)  -  30ft of horizontal(2ft)  90s - 5ft  = about 17ft of head pressure.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Neopimp link said:
head pressure is basically all the resistance the pump is gogin to run into that includes friction in pipe, energy losses from 90 elbows... height of water pump.... all those gen broken down to equivalent Head Pressure.  If you are running a setup liek mine I have roughly 15ft of head.  Not 15ft total height but that basically what the pump thinks....  10ft vertical (10ft)  -  30ft of horizontal(2ft)  90s - 5ft  = about 17ft of head pressure.

I just used this calculator to test neos numbers, I just guessed at 6 elbows a few valves and a union and it came back pretty much dead on.. so I would say you could figure out your numbers and what you need from that.. notice the pump I chose for it is a 4600gph sequence pump.. which is the same as neos I believe, im running the snapper so I choose the 2600gph sequence pump.

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php?submitted=1&VerticalLength=10&HorizontalLength=30&PipeDiameter=1.5&PumpID=59&Elbows90=6&Elbows45=0&GateValves=0&BallValves=2&Couplings=1&CheckValves=0&Exits=2&Entrances=1

Status
Not open for further replies.