What test kits do I need when starting up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidewaze

Ok picking up most of my stuff on Saturday the to finish my setup. Now I'm going with all dry rock in the DT. What kits will I need for testing. I plan to add some live rock to the refuge shortly after tank is running. Just want to know what i need on hand as from what I've seen there isn't one complete kit. TIA

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Most test for:
Calcium
Magnesium
Alkalinity
Phosphates
Nitrates

You can branch out from there.  Most consider API kits absolute junk, and I personally like HANNA and SALIFERT. 

xxmurrxx

To start with your probably ok with ammonia nitrate and nitrite test kits

When cycle is over and you start keeping corals, mag, alk, ca kits might be needed

xxmurrxx

Depends on where he is headed with the hobby, Not everyone is all out hardcore.
I had easier to keep corals and did not test calcium, mag, or alk. Regular water changes and all did fine.
Even now I don't test those often.. Mind you I only have a couple easy to keep SPS and lps so my levels may be a little off but all is going well.
Don't get me wrong though, Having the test kits IS a good thing.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
You could probably get away with just a nitrate kit to start.  Just dont expect to be adding fish the day after you set it up. Wait a month and test for nitrate....when that is low enough go a head and slowly start adding fish.

If you do plan on corals but will mostly be going with softies and a few LPS than you may not need any other test kit as long as you perform regular water changes.

If you get into clams and/or SPS and/or a lot of LPS you will  probably need ALK, CA, MG and PO4 test kits.  Actually PO4 is good to know with any corals just dont buy a cheap one...they dont read low enough for our purposes.  Hannan or elos or something high resolution/sensitivity.

Sidewaze

Thanks i appreciate the replies. I was planning on the tank just running for least six weeks. I've been waiting five years to do this so a few months won't kill before i populate it.

Noodle

I recommend you spend some decent money on good kits.  I recommend the red sea kits for alk, mag, cal, Nitrate.  Also spends some good money on a decent PH tester.  This is a common mistake, people buy a $50 fish before they invest in a good set of test kits.

Thmh

Website Affiliate
Noodle link said:
I recommend you spend some decent money on good kits.  I recommend the red sea kits for alk, mag, cal, Nitrate.  Also spends some good money on a decent PH tester.  This is a common mistake, people buy a $50 fish before they invest in a good set of test kits.

+1 i like the Hanna test kits

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I've added my name for the group buy, so I'm looking at test kits. I'm assuming that you guys love Hanna? they look very accurate to me - I also see Salifert and Red Sea
I'd like to buy these once and buy the right ones. API doesn't work well for me, not accurate enough.
Suggestions? I'd like to get it right this time around and buy what will give me the most accurate readings

Salty Cracker link said:
Most test for:
Calcium
Magnesium
Alkalinity
Phosphates
Nitrates

You can branch out from there.  Most consider API kits absolute junk, and I personally like HANNA and SALIFERT.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I recently just ordered 3 test kits from brs on the most recent group buy. I choose the following. Hannah phosphate checker, salfert mag and calc. Already have the Hannah alk checker. Haven't used salfert before but heard good things.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Darryl, thanks for the input.
I may be having a senior moment here, but what is PO4 and what brand would you recommend? I'm part of the group buy, so I might just as well take advantage of the pricing and get what I need
thanks again all of you !

Darryl_V link said:
You could probably get away with just a nitrate kit to start.  Just dont expect to be adding fish the day after you set it up. Wait a month and test for nitrate....when that is low enough go a head and slowly start adding fish.

If you do plan on corals but will mostly be going with softies and a few LPS than you may not need any other test kit as long as you perform regular water changes.

If you get into clams and/or SPS and/or a lot of LPS you will  probably need ALK, CA, MG and PO4 test kits.  Actually PO4 is good to know with any corals just dont buy a cheap one...they dont read low enough for our purposes.  Hannan or elos or something high resolution/sensitivity.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Jerry, thanks so much for jumping in. I was looking at the Hanna alk and phos. I saw that the calc from Hanna is very spendy in reagents. Is that why you went with salfert mag and calc?
I've never done calc and mag - these 2 are new to me and I now know I should have had these all along
thanks again
love you guys and gals  ! you're the best !

jerry_doucette link said:
I recently just ordered 3 test kits from brs on the most recent group buy. I choose the following. Hannah phosphate checker, salfert mag and calc. Already have the Hannah alk checker. Haven't used salfert before but heard good things.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I went with the salfert calc because I have read and heard on here the Hannah calc checker is a pain. Didn't see Hannah mag test so I went with salfert.

Status
Not open for further replies.