What To Do

cyberloach

37450015f6c4efc2cf5a3872d4728d05.jpg

So my first attempt at salt water is an obvious disaster. The real question is what do I do know.
The tank is a nuvo 38, I hate the aio design it was hard to keep the filter compartment clean.
I was basically contemplating drilling the tank and putting in a sump or selling the tank and buying something similar but predrilled like a cad light tank.

Any thoughts,

heath

Distinguished Member
I have never done a tank that small but, have you thought of just starting over, this hobby can be very frustrating and many of us have thought of just giving up... it doesn't show your location, maybe there is an experienced reefer fairly close to you that could be your mentor..

cyberloach

I'm in burlington. I'm definitely restarting, just ordered a bunch of RO stuff from brs.
My issue is that because of the tight aio filter I don't see how I'll ever be able to keep it clean.

heath

Distinguished Member
with a reading of 40ppm, when was the last time that the filters were changed..what is the reading straight out of the tap..I just changed mine and I don't run a di unit and they were 12ppm...could be something to think about..

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
A nano like that in that shape is recoverable over time, however, it might be easier to just scrap and start again. An AIO is a special type tank, I ran a Nano Cube for a while, there is a link to it in my signature. I did not run any media in the back. I did not even run a skimmer. Just 5 gallon per week water changes with Instant Ocean Reef Crystal salt that was raised to temp to match the tank typically, but sometimes I just used the old water out of my DT. One step at a time though. First you have to decide which route you want to go. Fixing will most likely take months and a lot of work. Which will be very rewarding, but can get very frustrating. I do think that that whole tank is tempered, so drilling is out. Someone here has a similar tank and was not recommended to drill it.

Start over or fix?

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I had a 20 gallon saltwater for 8 months you have to have to add top off daily and lots of water changes I did 20% a week I ran a canister filter and it can be done if you're not lazy and you can clean it out ever 3 weeks I believe sumps are the best get a good clean up crew and a conch will help with any algee and one will do lots of work I seen reef tanks with hang on the back stuff before ( not recomended ) but. Can be done , if you have a small tank be prepared to dedicate a lot of patience and time to keeping consistency ! And if you're nitrates are that high do 20% every 2 days till 100% and if ou haven't graval vac your bottom yet (in over 5 months) be careful!! I did have had alots of issues because it release a lot of nitrates into the water keep us posted like to know what happens and if you have any questions just ask ! :)

cyberloach

Order a bunch of new filter from brs ill report on new tds then. Tap is at 220ppm my old unit(maxwater ro) got the tds down to1-5 tds, new unit aqausafe started off ok but quickly went to 40ppm even after changing all the filter with filter it came with.

Since I'm new I've been testing water parameter fairly regularly but what I did understand was why I was getting hair but my phosphates we're low in the tank. I finaly test the water straight out of the ro unit and the phosphates we're high.

I'm going to get a small tank to temporarily house what left in the tank.

Anyone want a nice big pistol shrimp?

cyberloach

Went to petsmart yesterday for dog food and picked up 15 gal column Aqueon Kit. Going to use it as a temp tank while I redo the Nuvo. Decided to drill the nuvo for a ghost overflow with sump.
Where is the best place to get rock, not the crappy stuff but the super porous stuff?

Easto

For rock I would look at Unibob. Shoot him a message and see if he has some Pukani rock left. From what I understand he order a whole bunch a couple months ago along with some tonga shelf and possibly branches as well. Pukani is very porous.

Unibob (Gerry) runs Bean Bag Frags and is around here pretty much everyday.

I have purchased an item from Gerry this past spring. Good guy. I would go with Gerry if location, etc works out for you.

***Edit*** Gerry beat me to it.

Last edited:

heath

Distinguished Member
there you go, be careful where and who you get your rock from, it could be full of some unwanted stuff, if you buy new dead rock (a lot cheaper) then you only have to buy a small amount of live rock and it will seed your tank...during the cycling process..
the rule of thumb that I use is; slow + steady = success, fast + furious = failure....good luck with the new tank..

heath

Distinguished Member
good deal, I love the pukani rock, Gerry had some pictures of his last order, some very interesting pieces..I think they are under store announcement's ...

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
last tine I ordered Caribsea Primo Reef Rock and was rather disapointed in it's density. I'll check bean frags website:)

I blew my website up trying to upgrade it lol, working on restoring at this moment. Give me 30 min and it should be back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk