What To Do

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I think I’m my own worst enemy, I may have made myself want out of the hobby ,

I thought I’d try something new and start a new set up with all dry rock to have no pests like bristle worms , spaghetti worms etc .. things that made me hate the hobby.

So to get coral line algae is very confusing to me and I don’t want to add someone else’s chunk of rock and ruin $1,300 bucks in nice brand new dry Marco rocks and shelf rock .

also now have ich in the system , only thing in there is fish (no inverts or corals) I guess it’s a fowlr tank atm hoping to be a reef .

But having ich in your system means that anytime you go to sell anything the person buying would have ich (potentially)

that alone makes me want to shut er down .

I have a 20g long set up for months that was planning on keeping new corals in for 76 days to make sure no pests or if there’s ich it’ll be gone . But there’s no way I’m fitting 8 fish + a small tang in there to treat . On top taking forever to catch all the fish / taking all my rock out (over 110 pounds)

I hate to say it but on the breaking point/ off to a horrible start ..

Jason Bell

Ich management, that's about it. Get a real UV unit and plumb it in, $500-600. Won't remove it, but can make it manageable, keep up on good food and their immune system will fight it. As you said once it is there no way it is gone.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
@Jason Bell , we’ll still wont help that the corals or frags I’d have in my system would be essentially carriers , and to me that doesn't seem fun to me (ich management) ich dies after 76 days in a fish-less system from what I’ve read , just don’t have the money for a bigger qt and trying to get meds is a pain in the ass .. I’ve read about uv but to rich for my blood right now , I don’t want to do this fight and a year later have enough and shut it down with a lot of corals in there where atm there’s none , I should have qt but it’s tough / a pain waiting 2 1/2 months with treatments :/ I’m kinda shocked in my old tank for 5 years never had these issues

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Honestly do not let that get you down. You are reading to hard into marine ich. Almost every tank has it whether they know it or not. Typically it can show up as a grain of sand on a fish one day and the next day it is gone so people assume it was just that ... sand. In fact it was ich and the healthy fish dropped it off. It can lay dormant in a tank for months then 1 spec will start it all over again. It can appear out of no where even after going a year or more without adding anything to a tank. It is even known to bury into the fish and stay there for weeks/months dormant. Stores will almost always have it in their systems but their turn around is so high that it is never seen. New fish coming into stores are treated for parasites but rarely never treated completely for ich.

As mentioned above, it is in almost everyones tank anyways so there should be no stress. Unless you QT every coral or anything wet that you bring in ever, then there is a chance of it coming back. Typically no one QT's coral or inverts but they can still carry it or it could be free floating in the water they come in on and the water that is on them when you transfer to QT.

I personally would not let it get you down. Just fatten up your fish and treat the tank with PolypLab Medic. It may take a few treatments but should help your fish through it. Once you are in the clear then do some water changes and do another treatment for the fun of it just to make sure it is gone.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Anyone else here have ich / had it in a system ? I know you guys mentions it’s probably in there , and if I have it/ my powder blue showed it yesterday I’m not sure about today (lights are still off till 2pm) then is there no point to qt fish from this point out ?

Luke.

Distinguished Member
In case it helps to understand my situation here’s my fish list
2 yellow tail damsels
3 pjs
1 Royal gramma
1 Midas blenny
1 powder blue (2.5”)

no fish showed signs other then the powder (which makes sense) lol but took a few weeks to pop up .

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have been through ich and know many people who have. Nothing PolypLab Medic did not help me get through it. Not sure where it came from or when it was introduced. I even had it show up months after the last thing I added. One of the reasons I fell down the rabbit hole about researching it.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
@TORX without myself looking into it yet (the polylab) is it reef safe ? Won’t hurt my rock etc , again I’m thankful I have 0 corals yet

Matt1997

Stop worrying about ich. Every person on this forum who does not quarantine, or adds coral directly to the tank from a system containing fish likely has it already. It’s not worth quitting the hobby over. Ich does not kill fish. The stress you induce on the fish by putting it in a barren quarantine tank then medicating is what kills fish. Feed them well, keep them eating and it will pass. Most of my fish have had ich. Once they overcome it they often don’t get it again. Here’s an Achilles tang covered in ich. Then a month later not a single speck. Likely will remain that way.

As for coralline algae, you have to add it to your system at some point. I would just get some off someone who has it covering the glass. Very unlikely there are pests in it then. Break it up, spread the chips around the tank.

Attachments

• 9498BDB8-FD1E-4C5B-9A1F-6F420AEDB741.jpeg
    9498BDB8-FD1E-4C5B-9A1F-6F420AEDB741.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 82
  • 3C1B2740-9F2B-4DEC-964D-CB4AFCF8185E.jpeg
    3C1B2740-9F2B-4DEC-964D-CB4AFCF8185E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 92

monizb

Super Active Member
Feed them fish garlic with there food it will help big time dice it really small soak the food for few min and poor it in to tank I use to feed my fish once a week with garlic never had a problem or u can buy garlic guard it’s a liquid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dale

im a fan of hypo salinity, all my fish went through it and my tank was fallow for 3 months... its a pain in the ass but with no coral you could do a hypo run in your tank for a couple months and thoroughly dip all your corals when you get them.. ive always had certain fish that restricted me from using certain meds available at the time and ive had good luck with hypo salinity and havnt had ich in my tanks that were done this way.... good luck... weve all gone though similar situations.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Yeah I’m not sure how often the fish will get it like @TORX said it’s hard to tell could be monthly could also be never all depends on the fish. I’m going to see how it goes I’m not getting coral any time soon , I still need my hood and hang my lights and t5s and get the hood algae growth (atm I have 1 kessil a160) lol ...

Question if there is ich , and I get new fish , I guess no point in qt if it’s in the dt correct ?

@dale ill look into it !

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I have been increasing food ,
Mysis with garlic and vitamins
Pellets
And algae sheet with some drops of vitamins
Anything else I can do?

Jason Bell

My clowns and yellow Tang showed ich, lots. The balance of fish you couldn't see anything. Two years now and have never seen a white spot on any of them. I know it's there, impossible that it is not, but as stated never had another visible outbreak.

I feed PE pellets, Vitalis discs and Omega One flake with garlic.

Matt1997

Yeah I’m not sure how often the fish will get it like @TORX said it’s hard to tell could be monthly could also be never all depends on the fish. I’m going to see how it goes I’m not getting coral any time soon , I still need my hood and hang my lights and t5s and get the hood algae growth (atm I have 1 kessil a160) lol ...

Question if there is ich , and I get new fish , I guess no point in qt if it’s in the dt correct ?

@dale ill look into it !
I would still keep in a separate system and monitor them unless you are confident about the fish in question. Sure your tank has ich but you don’t have velvet, flukes, hookworms and the million other things.