what type of lid/covering are most using for their tanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I just got my 135, I need to cover it, but am I going to affect the light reaching the corals with glass? I will have a 400 watt MH light hanging from the ceiling when it's in it's in place. I'd like to hear any and all different ways to cover the tank as well as pros and cons. I'm new and learning -  I have a young kitten who could end up swimming. Wouldn't be good. Obviously I'm just beginning, and don't have an automatic top up system for the tank yet. I'd love to hear all and any present ways of covering the tanks or not !
thanks
Sunnykita  ;D

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Sunnykita:

I have mine covered with Eggcrate that you can get at Home depot in the lighting section.  I don't notice too much difference in the light and it allows for adequate gas exchange to reduce CO2 in the tank.  It has the added bonus of discouraging jumpers as well.  I don't think it will hold up to a kitten jumping on it though.  Just try not to have anything near it that the kitten could use as a jumping place to get on top of the tank.  My cats love to look at the tanks (we call them Cat-evisions) but they have never jumped onto one - thank goodness!

xxmurrxx

Eggcrate, or BRS sells a screen kit (the stuff can be purchased at a hardware store but it'll cost more in the end) same as a window screen basically.

I tried the glass cover once on one of my tanks and it was a pain cleaning it all the time.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
yveterinarian link said:
Sunnykita:

I have mine covered with Eggcrate that you can get at Home depot in the lighting section.  I don't notice too much difference in the light and it allows for adequate gas exchange to reduce CO2 in the tank.  It has the added bonus of discouraging jumpers as well.  I don't think it will hold up to a kitten jumping on it though.  Just try not to have anything near it that the kitten could use as a jumping place to get on top of the tank.  My cats love to look at the tanks (we call them Cat-evisions) but they have never jumped onto one - thank goodness!

Thanks for the suggestion, I might try a combo of egg crate at the back for gassing off and the glass, I'm still pondering how to solve the issue. 3 or 4 inches of egg crate for gassing off and glass over the rest? He presently uses the countertop to reach the top of the fridge but as there's nothing to leap from near the tank he hasn't fallen in yet. Yet being the key word. A new strain of catfish LOL  - I have kitty tv here as well. They love to watch the fish.
I'm still open for any and all suggestions

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
I dont think you will find many if any people completely cover their tank with glass...you need gas and heat exchange.  Possible with LED you could get away with less heat exchange but with a 400w MH you will most definitely need an open top.

More people seem to be going hoodless, open top with light fixtures but I dont find that functional enough for my tastes.  Too many fish jumpers unless you run a screen which is a PITA for maintenance IMO.  Also sitting in a room with with an open top staring at a light fixture bothers me personally (well the wife more than me probably).

I have an open top hood that adds quite a bit of height yet still allows for gas and heat exchange.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
xxmurrxx link said:
Eggcrate, or BRS sells a screen kit (the stuff can be purchased at a hardware store but it'll cost more in the end) same as a window screen basically.

I tried the glass cover once on one of my tanks and it was a pain cleaning it all the time.

another great idea, don't think it would hold kitty's weight either. It seems as tho I'll have to be sure that any furniture isn't close enough for the leaper
thanks
sunnykita

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Thanks Darryl, I went looking for the pics of your tank and they're MIA, at least I didn't find them. I did get to see again the magazine shot. I'm drooling :drool: The mh light will do the trick until I figure out more about the LED lights and boost the savings account. I'm certainly not capable of diy led. So going forward with the open top theory, I can possibly build or have built a box cover for the mh light so it isn't seen and hope for the best no cat fish in the tank 
Sunnykita aka Sherry

Darryl_V link said:
I dont think you will find many if any people completely cover their tank with glass...you need gas and heat exchange.  Possible with LED you could get away with less heat exchange but with a 400w MH you will most definitely need an open top.

More people seem to be going hoodless, open top with light fixtures but I dont find that functional enough for my tastes.  Too many fish jumpers unless you run a screen which is a PITA for maintenance IMO.  Also sitting in a room with with an open top staring at a light fixture bothers me personally (well the wife more than me probably).

I have an open top hood that adds quite a bit of height yet still allows for gas and heat exchange.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I prefer the open top hood like Darryl's.  You only need to remove it if you need to reach deep into the tank but it stops the light spill into the room and forces jumpers to get way up to get out.  On my other tank that's in in the corner of the room with space for me to work behind, it's just a three sided frame.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
thanks everyone!
it seems that the general consensus is to use a cover, or open hood to discourage jumpers.  Hmmm, looks tho it's the way to go, now to plan something that opens up, possibly hinged on the front for the vertically challenged LOL. I have to use a stepladder to reach in the bottom or near the bottom of the 24 in deep tank on my tippy toes !
thanks so much for all the input, it's greatly appreciated
sunnykita aka Sherry

Status
Not open for further replies.