What's The Best (small) Tang For Eating Algae

Tdizz

Hi folks,

I have a 90 gallon, 4 ft long, tanks. What would be t best tang (or any fish for that matter) to add to the system to start eating algae that is just starting to grow on the rocks and frag plugs?

P.S. I do not have an algae problem, but I would like whatever does exist eaten/cleaned up.
P.P.S. The algae might be green hair algae, as it is kind of stringy looking

Thanks everyone.

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
Good choices are Yellow-eye Kole Tang, Yellow Tang, Scopas Tang and Tomini Tang. All tangs can be aggressive, so it might be better to add them to the tank later if you plan on having skiddish fish. Also, don't mix 2 tangs of the same type in that tank, so no Yellow+Scopas, or Kole+Tomini. I have a Kole + Scopas.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Tomini Tang I just picked one up for my new tank and he's chillin in my old tank with tons of caulerpa and algae. I like the Kole tang as well but the Tomini will eat poop :)

heath

Distinguished Member
I have 5 tangs in my tank and the only one that doesn't pick at the rock are my hippos.. I have a yellow, bristle tooth, yellow eyed kole and 2 hippos.. my 2 fox face are busy guys as well...

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
I have 5 tangs in my tank and the only one that doesn't pick at the rock are my hippos.. I have a yellow, bristle tooth, yellow eyed kole and 2 hippos.. my 2 fox face are busy guys as well...
My hippo dosent much either...my purple on the other hand is constantly picking away at the rocks

Luke.

Distinguished Member
If you can't find a tang that suits you , I think there's a gobie that eats algee I had one for 2 months cleaned everything up !

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I have had a lawnmower for over 9 months and the only thing he eats if the filament algae off the glass. Lip prints everywhere, Plus he has dug himself a nice divot under a rock. I only put in a little nori once a month

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I have had a lawnmower for over 9 months and the only thing he eats if the filament algae off the glass. Lip prints everywhere, Plus he has dug himself a nice divot under a rock. I only put in a little nori once a month

Did yours crap a lot ? I think mine had more waste then 5 fish together !

David Caplan

Website Affiliate

I agree, I have never seen my lawnmower go for hair algae or other types of macro. He loves leaving kissy prints on the glass. He also gets super bloated as the day goes on and poops a lot at the end of the day.

Skim

Good choices are Yellow-eye Kole Tang, Yellow Tang, Scopas Tang and Tomini Tang. All tangs can be aggressive, so it might be better to add them to the tank later if you plan on having skiddish fish. Also, don't mix 2 tangs of the same type in that tank, so no Yellow+Scopas, or Kole+Tomini. I have a Kole + Scopas.

Wow a Scopas and Kole has that working out, the only thing my Scopas won't take a run at is my Naso and that is questionable at times. Could always try one of favorite the Lawnmower Blenny , Star Eyed Blenny. I love the way they bounce around, no fear they will lay on top of Corals they don't care. I have a large piece of Tonga Branch that goes from bottom of tank to the water surface and one branch comes off just below the surface and he will sit onto of it and he is almost out of the water does not care. One of my favorite.

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
They are both Juvenile. The Scopas ignores all other fish, and the Kole is very shy. I also have a Foxface. They do a wonderful job cleaning the tank.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
http://www.fishlore.com/profile-tominitang.htm

Excerp

They are considered excellent scavengers that are reef tank friendly. The Tomini Tang will constantly pick at the live rock and glass looking for algae and other tid bits. They even go after and eat fish poo with gusto (gross - I know right). They are the prototypical janitors in your tank.

Skim

Oh boy are in for a treat when he hits puberty and gets attitude. He is not ignoring the other fish he stalking and observing and studying their routines for the future when he becomes the ruler of his World. The Scopas is the most aggressive of the Tangs, I wanted to spear mine sometimes, but then there are times when he will swim around with the rest and all is well.