whats your tap water tds

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitro069

Like the title says, i am curious to see what everyone's tap water tds is and the performance (life span) of your ro/di filters are.

I have a whole house water purification system and my tap water tds is at about 105ppm(no idea what is was before i installed it).

I have been running with my ro/di unit for about 14 months now and the di cartridge is between 1/2 to 3/4 spent. my sediment and carbon filter are as white as the day i got them.

how often are you guys changing filters.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Sarnai Water is pretty decent from what I remeber
I did a bunch of lookign around when I started up in this hobby
... back when I( was thinking tap might be good enough.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
My well water is about 350tds... I ran my first reef tank for 6 months off of that with softies, lps and fish and I had no algae issues or anything.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I had a 45 I did tap with .. no issues that I woudlnt run into using RODI.. but eventually it will happen :)

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
113 here straight from the tap.. In the summer it will rise a lot due to the extra stuff they add to the water

reefin

Here in Tillsonburg the last time I checked it was 235 TDS.

I have a prefilter before the softner and that is changed every 6 months the RODI filters are changed when my TDS before the DI chamber reads 10 - 15 TDS that takes about 6 to 7 months the DI is new in Nov, 2012 so it should last me the year

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
109 here.  A tank can go about 2 years on a london water, tap only setup before you start getting big problems.  I know that for a fact :)

paoul

nitro069 link said:
[quote author=paoul link=topic=4298.msg39484#msg39484 date=1360201567]
our water is pretty good at 12ppm tds it haven't changed any filters yet

Thats crazy.....12 ppm. is it filtered at all or straight from the city
[/quote]

straight from city i thought my hand held tds was broken borrowed a friends got same reading

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
around 300.....hard ground water here.  No softener....are those good for RO/DI?  I change prefilters every 3-4months, DI every month and membrane every year.  Lots of filters.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
been awhile since i have tested right from the tap.  but last i checked, it was about 450ppm.  kitchener is known for its liquid rock.
thats why most around here keep a lot of african cichlids.  tap is just right for them.  especially with ph of 8.7 out of the tap.

I was changing my resin about every 9 months on my 120 gallon.. but i wasnt a regular water changer back then.  mostly top offs and monthly water changes.

I have a feeling i will be going thru them must faster now with more volume and a better maintenance routine.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Darryl_V link said:
around 300.....hard ground water here.  No softener....are those good for RO/DI?  I change prefilters every 3-4months, DI every month and membrane every year.  Lots of filters.

You're changing the DI every month?? 

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Darryl
I asked just that question when I was in the water shop the other day and the answer was that the RO/DI unit would remove all the salt
seems like more work for the system? but what do I know? anyone else have soft water and ro/di that can comment?

Darryl_V link said:

Victoss

I think I have mine before the water softener but from what I have heard manufactures will usually recommend after because the soft water is easier on the membrane. The way the softener works is by exchanging calcium ions with sodium ions so the tds will generally be the same just less limescale build up. 

reefin

Darryl_V link said:

When I first setup my RODI unit I had it coming off the line after the first prefilter but before the softener. But since I was going into different water places and talking to different manufactures of RO units they all recommend feeding the RO unit after the water softener. The softener strips the magnesium and calcium out of the water including other hard metals so it is better for the life of the membrane of the RO unit. Two of the manufactures also told me that with their softener I really didn't need the DI stage.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
I have heard that softened water is better than hard water too..just wanted to double check.

Two of the manufactures also told me that with their softener I really didn't need the DI stage.
This I dont believe though....they probably dont realize you are aiming for 0tds water, which in drinking water you actually dont want.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
I got a question.  Yu see all that waster water coming out of yur rodi ?...what happenee if yu had another rodi unit  D yu think yu will get some 0 tds water out of the waste water

Status
Not open for further replies.