Where I'm At Now!

gowyn

Got into this hobby way back in 1991. Started off with an acrylic 55g with some Damsels. Moved into the reef side shortly after with the old wet/dry filter system and a 5' tall skimmer!

1993 Moved to London with a 6' tank for my Naso and Emperor! Loved those guys.

Got out of the hobby shortly after my daughter was born in 2004. Back then I was a rebel by getting out of wet/dry and just using tons of live rock and skimmer.

IMG_0027.jpg
IMG_6.jpg

So a couple of months ago my daughter wanted a fish, nothing special. So got her a tank, 30g. Then my wife wanted a tank so she has a little 10g. Thought I'd better get one too. So found a used 14g Biocube, then moved into a 32 Biocube LED. Of course that wasn't be enough which leads us to this one.

IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg

Of course this one is only an interim until I decide on the next, either a Miracles 36 cube or a custom 30x30x30 acrylic cube. We'll see.

So I found a used Miracles Starphire 60g cube on Kijiji, good shape, crappy black stand. Picked it up along with RO skimmer.

Thought I'd build this right and start off with quality products that will be moved onto the next build so spent a whack of money;

Bashsea Cube sump, ATO reservoir and two reactors
Apex
DOS auto water change
ATK ato
COR 15 return pump
Neptune feeder
Neptune flow metres
Kessil AP700 and H80
CoralSea RN-1 wave makers
Finnex Ti heaters

56261206040__78F5CBEF-8E9E-4472-9A10-B9AC1C9CA8A6.jpg
IMG_1922.jpg
56261203391__B11713E3-FECE-498B-9CE2-936651ACB9B4.jpg

Unfortunately these pictures are from wake up time, so pretty blue. Have about 60lbs of Reef Rock in there, a few small frags, snails, shrimp, crabs and some fishes...

Unfortunately I broke my own rule and added the fish a little too early without proper quarantine. My poor Purple Tang has been fighting Ich for the past couple of weeks, still eating fine and otherwise doing ok but I'm really torn between treating in place with Medic and letting nature take it's course (ie build up immunity) or tearing everything apart, catch the fish and treat in a separate tank. Everyone is eating and other than a little bit of flashing OK.

BTW, the stand is painted black, just went and got some acrylic sheets cut to size and velcro them to the sides. APEX is installed in cabinet to the right and that's the ATO reservoir to the left.

That's egg crate on the top to stop jumpers.

Hobby has changed some in the past 25 years, interesting.

Copperkills

I’ve never lost a fish due to ick. Ive always soaked food in garlic and Selcon to help stave off the parasite, and I hate putting medications in the tank. I’ve lost more in corals and collateral damage from medicating than it would have been sadly to let the fish die and replace it.

P.S. Great little setup, what is your opinion of the AP700?

Last edited:

gowyn

I’ve never lost a fish due to ick. Ive always soaked food in garlic and Selcon to help stave off the parasite, and I hate putting medications in the tank. I’ve lost more in corals and collateral damage from medicating than it would have been sadly to let the fish die and replace it.

P.S. Great little setup, what is your opinion of the AP700?
Thanks.

The Kessil? I like it.

Looked at all the others but to me the AP700 won out on a couple of fronts. It's very well made, and ecstatically pleasing to look at. Nice to have built in wifi but not quite as user friendly as the AI I would say. But once a light is set it's time to forget.

Looked at a lot of others, Radion, GHL, AI and was close on the Orphik, but in the end I got a good deal on the AP and I'm glad I went with it. Plus it's still a good size for a 36" tank and can penetrate 30" so I'm covered future wise.

Copperkills

Thanks.

The Kessil? I like it.

Looked at all the others but to me the AP700 won out on a couple of fronts. It's very well made, and ecstatically pleasing to look at. Nice to have built in wifi but not quite as user friendly as the AI I would say. But once a light is set it's time to forget.

Looked at a lot of others, Radion, GHL, AI and was close on the Orphik, but in the end I got a good deal on the AP and I'm glad I went with it. Plus it's still a good size for a 36" tank and can penetrate 30" so I'm covered future wise.
Any chance I can come see it? It’s on my radar, I’d like to see the coverage. This will be my last build so I’m making sure I decide on something I won’t have to upgrade, like ever lol

gowyn

So a little update.

Rescaped again! Think this might be it.

All fish are in QT, ich. DT is gonna be fallow for a couple of months, shrimp and crabs are loving it.

7e58ff826ac9161138d85dd156dd9854.jpg
88022deb0b45f1000a73bab54fb226df.jpg

Set up the DOS for auto water change, 1 gallon per day, nice.

Also setup the ATO to draw from the 50 gallon RODI tank in the basement. Even nicer.

Now I never have to carry another bucket again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk