Which Skimmer??

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gietz

shayneh link said:
LOL!.....And remember to keep a good balance between your relationship with the gf and the obsession with the tank......you can't cuddle up to the tank in the morning when certain parts of the body are more awake than others.

Ha ha ha ha!!!!

So basicly go big or go home eh??? And would you say 30x flow in a display is enough for LPS??

S

shayneh

I'm a big proponent of lots of flow so again the more current in the tank the better but LPS don't like being blasted with laminar or direct flow. 30X is a good amount of flow even for SPS so switching (which will eventually happen) is easy.

You obviosly have been reading....soon you'll be chiming in with you views on high water flow through sumps vs. low flow etc.....LOL!  ;D 

B

Blob-79

good advice to buy as the best skimmer you can afford. This of course is also kind of a general answer. For instance, what if all I can afford is $100 for a skimmer, does that mean I can keep sps..not likely :p

Imo for fish only and softy tanks, you can get by with a fairly cheep skimmer, used coralife or something rated around the tank volume. If you want to get into lps, Minimum is fairly close to the same as a softy tank. But you'll have to watch you nitrates and phosphates closer.  With LPS and softies, you dont want to go super low nutrients. or you will have to feed the corals.

G

Gietz

So basically i should go with the nac6 than the nac7 because it will keep alittle more nutrients for the LPS and corals to feed

S

shayneh

The nac6 and nac7 are rated for the same size tanks just one is a cone and the other isn't. In the go big category you want to look at skimmers rated for larger tanks (i.e. nac6 or nac7 @ 90g fully stocked vs. the BM 150 @ 125g fully stocked) if you can afford the 150 go for it instead of the nac6/7. I wouldn't worry about overskimming until you start to get into the serious kit like skimmers rated for 250g+

Status
Not open for further replies.