Which Will Eat More Hair Algae, A Tail Spot Blenny Or A Red Starfish?

Janice

Hi: I need one more creature to help control the hair algae in our tank. Recently got a red starfish who is doing a good job, but needs some help. I am debating whether to put another one in the tank, or to put in a tail spot blend. I want which ever will eat more hair algae. Does anyone know?

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Two better creatures for your size of aquarium would be a lawn mower blenny and the astrea star snails... both a huge eaters of hair algae. Plus it's a good idea to find the cause of your algae issues....

Janice

We have 3 Astrea star snails and I find they do nothing. We have had them for at least 3 months.

I read an article today on an aquarium store website that said" Most hobbyists think about the lawnmower blenny when it comes to an algae eating blenny. I tend to shy away from the lawnmower primarily due to its max size of 5". The tailspot blenny has all the algae eating characteristics of the lawnmower blenny but in a smaller, more colorful, and more peaceful package. They have great personalities and are a great addition to your tank."

That is why I was thinking go the tail spot blend instead of the lawnmower blenny.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I know you've heard this before...but adding creatures to consume algae will just increase the nutrients in the system that will fuel even more algae growth making the problem worse. You need to employ some method of nutrient export to remove nutrients completely from the system to balance what you add everytime you feed.

ColbytheClown

I know you've heard this before...but adding creatures to consume algae will just increase the nutrients in the system that will fuel even more algae growth making the problem worse. You need to employ some method of nutrient export to remove nutrients completely from the system to balance what you add everytime you feed.
What are those methods?

Janice

I currently use every other available method of algae control and we have excellent tank husbandry and our parameters have been 100% perfect on the 7 tests we run weekly for months. Notwithstanding we still have more algae than I would like,and some of the CUC are useless. The best in the tank CUC for hair algae is the red starfish I got 3 weeks ago. Now I want an addition to that CUC to specifically target the hair algae.

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
AdInfinitum is certainly correct... do you have a protein skimmer in your tank... if not there is a huge part of your problem.... also think about how much you feed your fish... is it possible that you are over feeding.

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Also put some macro algae in one of the compartments in your tank ... need a light for the compartment.... also you could get some decorative macro for the tank such as red bush macro or shaving brush macro as an example. They will eat up nutrients that feed the green hair algae. If you do have a skimmer think about vodka dosing the tank... but don't do that with out a skimmer

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
There should be space in one of the compartments... but you will want to pick-up a small light to run on that compartment for the macro... also consider getting some decorative macro the display area... if your running a skimmer then try dosing with vodka as well....Google the info on that for your size of aquarium though

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Also is your skimmer working properly.... is it pulling actually pulling protein from your tank

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I believe you started running a small amount of Rowaphos. When you first start using phosphate removal products it will be exhausted very quickly so it will need monitoring and frequent replacement until you hit the maintenance stage. Hair algae will not grow in a low phosphate environment (Bryopsis will do better with low PO4 but will still be affected). When the Rowa gets the phosphate under control the effect on the hair algae as well as film algae on the glass etc. will be obvious.

Janice

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I will add some Rowa today. I was reluctant too, since our PO4, and all our other parameters are perfect. How can I tell that the skimmer is working properly-other than that I do have to clean it and remove guck? It sounds like the macro is better in with the rest of the reef-there is no room for a light in the back.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Just to clarify a note on perfect parameters including P04. If you have hair algae, then the results are not perfect and I will try and give a loose example. If your tank is producing 5ppm of P04 through feeding and waste, but the hair algae is eating 4.9ppm, then your test will show 0.1ppm. So you could be feeding it, only the algae is eating it as quickly as it is being produced. You need a media to remove P04 quicker then the algae can eat it. Which is what a remover such as GFO will do. That is one of the reasons it takes so long for results to show. You literally need to starve out the algae. As it dies off, it creates more P04 to feed the living and that needs to be removed before it is consumed.

Janice

Thanks Torx. I will be putting in more Rowa phase tomorrow after our water change. I just wanted to put the Rowa phase in slowly since I had never used it before. I also bought a very small yellow tang tonight to help out. When she grows I will have to sell her-or get another tank! Met a guy at Thang's today who has over 50 tanks, mostly freshwater, but he now has 8 reef tanks!

Janice

One more question. How much RowaPhos would you recommend that I put into the AIO chamber this week. Last week I put in roughly 2 tablespoons.

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
There is some issues with the tang and I see you definitely know the obvious one as you said you would put it to a larger tank when it grows....but here is some other issues... you have added more of a bio load to your tank. also that hair algae is eating the phosphate . As the tang it's the algae there will be more phosphates in the water as well as the extra bioload from the tang you may heading for trouble... I'm only pointing this out to not to be critical but to help. I'd up your water changes to 20% as your bioload is high.

Canadianeh

Since your tank is new, a little hair algae does not hurt. It is part of the process some aquarists say.
Running GFO might strip too much nutrient in your young tank. If you have tons of hair algae everywhere, go ahead by all mean.