white coating - nsw mixing tank

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
so last week wen. i dumped salt into my 30g tank that i mix nsw *new salt water*
and plugged in the pump to let it mix, i usually use it a day or two after the salt mixes but some times its even longer (1 week even)

but for some reason, i looked at the tank tonight and everything is coated in a white powder....?????
if i run my finger on the glass it comes off, but its on all 4 walls, the bottom pane and the pump....
as far as i can see the water itself is fairly clear...

what the hell....

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
im doing some reading online
im getting answers from bacteria bloom to calcium deficiencies or similar issue, - this is a brand new bucket of salt-

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Poseidon link said:
im doing some reading online
im getting answers from bacteria bloom to calcium deficiencies or similar issue, - this is a brand new bucket of salt-

reading online can be dangerous. My wifes dog sneezed the other day, either she had a tickle or was dying.

If it happens again, test the water for all levels. Maybe the bucket has been sitting long enough that some of the mix has settled/seperated to the bottom causing high levels. Some people roll the bucket for a while before using.

Or maybe it was something with your water or tank before. A small cycle would cause the issues as well. Anything getting in the tank could cause a algae bloom etc.

On a side note, this is something that people using all brands have reported at some point, not just specific to a single brand.

KBennett

What salinity is in the tank?  Could you have put too much in?
Check the mag, alk, and calc levels.  if mag is low or alk is high, calc will precipitate.

donaldj

A thing I read online a while ago and have since forgotten where (read: this could all be totally made up) told me that if I added salt to water too fast the local super-salinity could precipitate the calcium.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=pulpfiction1 link=topic=8150.msg85966#msg85966 date=1395015692]
i always add salt to water,not water to salt

sry if that wasnt clear, water was in first, added salt to the water
[/quote]I'm pretty sure its just salt dust in the water. I've seen this before when the salt is poured into the water when the pump isn't running and then turn the pump on. I would mix it with something and not worry about it. Its basically salt residue.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Big_Als_London link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=8150.msg85968#msg85968 date=1395015850]
[quote author=pulpfiction1 link=topic=8150.msg85966#msg85966 date=1395015692]
i always add salt to water,not water to salt

sry if that wasnt clear, water was in first, added salt to the water
[/quote]I'm pretty sure its just salt dust in the water. I've seen this before when the salt is poured into the water when the pump isn't running and then turn the pump on. I would mix it with something and not worry about it. Its basically salt residue.
[/quote]

but the prob is ive done this routine for over a year and changed nothing
and this has never happened..

ive went through a ton of damn salt this past month or two, would hate to throw out 30g of nsw,

i wiped the front glass pane clear and ill see if it 're-settles' tmrw morning.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
This has happened to me when I've added salt first and then water.  Read something about how this can result in wacky PH levels that cause calcium carbonate to precipitate out of the new saltwater mix, leaving a fine white dust.  The water will be fine, may just be low on calcium and alk if anything.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Boga link said:
Lol. It happened to me. I added salt twice and I ended with a white powder.....

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

must have been into the bottle or something at the time .

*facepalm*